2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape

We’ve been having wind storms and power outages here, and decided to console ourselves with a bottle of the 2007 Dom. de Saint Siffrein [CNDP] as we watched electric candles flicker in the dark. I found this 2007 to be on the more savory, garrigue inflected side of SoRho blends with a fruit profile that was compact and restrained on the first glass, but expanded with air, getting better by the last glass on night #2. It’s a solid Chateauneuf du Pape, but it didn’t impress me as anything special, beyond AOC typicte. I’d note a touch of heat, kirsch on this 14.5% abv wine. There is lots of this producer’s wines floating around thanks to Garagiste, although my French tax stamped bottle was from PC (!). Conventional, perfect cork and sediment typical for age 15+. My better half liked it more than I did, and it was slotted into the B+ zone on my card.

Surprise - Opened a 2007 Clos des Papes over the winter holidays. It was very good, and didn’t resemble the ooze monster it seemed a decade ago. Still a pretty big wine, but it had more going on, developing more normal CdP tertiary elements. In no way overwhelmed by alcohol. This might be great in another decade.

I canceled my TWA subscription after drinking 2007 CdP young and deciding Parker had lost it.

I agree, there’s no hard and fast threshold. And I concur in what Dan said about balance being the key. That said, while I’m occasionally surprised at wines with, say, 15.5% where the alcohol isn’t conspicuous, I rarely find a wine much over 15% that isn’t at least a bit out of balance.

There’s s a lot of individual variation on this, though, as there is with all things involving wine preferences and perceptions.I know I’m both more sensitive to high ABV than some people and less than others.

2007 Janasse (regular) was a bit hot but I still enjoyed it well enough recently. Glad to hear about the Siffrein, as I still have some of that one, along with Beaucastel, Graveirette (I think that was another Garagiste special), Pegau, and a lone mag of Donjon.

I went big on '07. I have consumed 150 and have 40 remaining. No regrets here. Chocolate and vanilla. :wink:

It’s nice to hear some progress on the Clos des Papes. Other 2007s have been overripe and/or non-descript for me. I was gifted a Clos des Papes and have been hoping time will work some wonders on it. :expressionless:

Glad to see that the thread and the wines both have legs. Balance is everything.

Dan Kravitz

Beaucastel, Vieux Telegraphe, and Clos des Papes have been excellent. And an Honorable Mention to Bosquet des Papes, Chante Le Merle and Clos du Mont-Olivet Papet.

Had an '07 Isabel Ferrando Colombis this past Friday with a 32oz. prime ribeye. Worked for me. :smile:

mag of 2007 Donjon drank well recently though I might prefer the 06.

1 Like

Loved the mag of 06 we drank a few years ago!

Whether due to, or despite, the high 14.5% stated abv this 2007 Jean Pierre Boisson ‘Cuvee Elizabeth Chamballan Vielles Vignes’ [CNDP] is a lovely, surprisingly balanced mature So.Rho at age 17. Full bodied, garnet/orange rims, with an aromatic bouquet showing fruitcake and baking spices then boysenberry syrup on the palate. Low acid, resolved tannin, and really not that much sediment at all. I bought this producer long ago, not knowing anything about them, and still see scant comments. It seems like the Burgundy vignernon with a similar name gather up most of the attention.

I’d slot this into the A- zone on my card. Conventional closure.

High? I’d expect green notes in a 14.5% cdp.
I’ve never heard of the producer, interesting note.