2008 Bollinger Grande Annee

Bollinger never went away.

Much appreciated Brad. I look forward to the time when we sit down and taste a few of these we`ve been reviewing and can experience the evolution.

1 Like

Blake,

At the rate you are going, there are not going to be any of these wines around for you or any of us to enjoy in a few years.
[wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Yes please, PM me a link and I’ll check it out. Champagne from 2008 for under $75 has been my weakness this past year. I don’t drink CA cans that often, but I can wait for the right time if there’s discounted Champagne.

We had a bottle of 2002 Krug for on Christmas Day which was tremendous. Not sure what bottle would follow it well though I was eyeing my 08 Bollinger GA.

Brad, I’ve got a secret stash that I’m holding onto just for the occasion, assuming of course, I can just keep my hands off. [headbang.gif]

Love the 02 Krug, especially lately as it is showing beautifully. Actually, I think the 08 Bollie GA is a perfect follow up although if I had both, I’d do them in reverse order. Just MHO.

Nice Blake. I like this wine!

1 Like

Wow… this was fantastic. I don’t have much for glassware, so this was in the Oneida Bold & Powerful glasses, made more for Barolos. I tried pairing it with a half dozen things and in the end, as you said, I preferred it on its own. It has so much going on that I really just wanted to experience more of itself as it unfolded. Does this really have 20-40 years of life left in it? And any thoughts on how it might evolve would be appreciated. I’m out of my depth there and any hunches I have aren’t backed by any reasonably similar experiences. Also, any tips on affordable champagnes in this vein would be appreciated too.

Here are my tasting notes posted on CT

a nose of freshly baked sourdough with a bit of apple. The sourdough persists into the palate, but is overcome quickly by green apples, pears, ginger, and a subtle sweet cream shifting towards a finish where the fruit recedes outside of a bit of lemon and lemon peel, which is rounded out again by this incredible sourdough. The nuance is incredible. I am not a champagne drinker, but this wine makes me question why I am not.

Joseph, my first recommendation is to get some decent champagne glassware, not in the shape of a flute.
As to the longevity of the Bollie GA, I had a 90` a few years ago and it was superlative and another 5 years + before reaching its apogee.
As to affordable recs, I’ll leave that to you and your comfort zone. I am a fan of certain producers and find that some are worthy of across the board acquisitions, often in “off” vintages. Louis Roederer is one. Moet & Chandon is another. So is Phiipponnat and Pol Roger and it goes on. There are many small growers who merit investigating. It’s also about the journey; a fun and rewarding one IMHO. I love your comment about why you question not being a champagne drinker. That’s a great place to start from.
Cheers

1 Like

Can you recommend any glasses?

I’m not Blake, but…

Blake swears by the Sophienwald champagne glass.
The Wine Advocate’s champagne reviewer, William Kelley, who posts on this board, drinks from Zalto universal or Zalto white wine glasses, depending on the age of the champagne (I don’t remember which is for new and which is for aged).
Ray Tuppatsch (I think that’s the spelling), who knows an incredible amount about champagne, particularly older champagne, has begun to use the Grassl Liberte, I believe.
I happen to use the Gabriel Glass, which is sort of a smaller, and to my eye prettier, version of the Zalto universal because it was in my cupboard and is close enough to the Zalto universal for my limited needs.

The point is, study carefully the shapes of the aforementioned glasses and hunt accordingly. Grassl will be on sale (through Chris Freemott) later this month for Berserkers Day.

1 Like

I prefer Zalto universal for Champagne; the Zalto white seems to accentuate any minerality/chalkiness in the wine which can be nice but I love the “musk” of Champagne so I like the bigger bowl of the universal.

2 Likes

Chris gave some good info in his reply to you. Obviously, there are a few good choices. I first preferred the Riedel Sommelier stem, then the Zalto, but for the past 2 years, the Sophienwald Champagne glass for numerous reasons, the most important being that it embellishes the champagne in every way that I want a glass to do. Additionally, it feels good in the hand as well as being hand blown, unleaded, having a wide base for stability and large enough bowl for a decent pour. Here’s a link for the distributors: https://www.theperfect.glass

1 Like

I am still a novice with champagne, so it is worth taking this with a grain of salt. But after last year having the 2008 on New Year’s Day, we had the 2012 this year. I dont know if it was the 3 years extra aging the 2008 had, or the wine itself, but imo the 2012 wasn’t really in the same ballpark yet. The 2008 was exceptional and nuanced and with my limited experience it was easily the best champagne I have had. The 2012 was excellent, but both the tannins and acidity were a bit much. Hopefully Brad is right and those are just signs of greater potential for down the road.

Are the Rose versions comparable? Should I be giving one of those a go?

Joseph,

I’m not Blake (or Chris or Sean or Brad or Ray…)
I’ve tried a lot of glasses for Champagne. I really like both the Gabriel Glas Gold, and the Zalto Universal. That said, after seeing a beautiful wide tulip glass Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon always posted on Instagram, I asked him what they were. They’re called Lehmann “Jamesse Prestige” Grand Champagne Mouth-Blown Wine Glass #45. They’re made in France, and during our recent trip to Paris and Champagne, many restaurants serve champagne in them. They’re my favorite. I still use the GGG at tastings at home, because we often shift from Champagne to other wines, and I don’t want to be washing multiple glasses.
Sorry for the thread drift, but my preferences in order are: Lehmann > GGG > Zalto Universal, but I’m happy with any of them. I’ve also heard the Grassl Liberté is really nice, and can be purchased from board member Chris Fremont.

Cheers,
Warren

2 Likes

A nice turn on Warren. Never heard of them. I’m super happy with the Sophienwald Grand Cru stems and probably will not venture into any other possibilities at this point, but remain open to anything than can top them. Perhaps a side point when we finally get some champagne time together where we taste the same bubbly out of 2-3 stems.

1 Like