2008 Burgundy tasting

I’ve checked in on a few bottles of 08 village Burgundy, where the acidity and tension had started to calm a little. Mugneret Gibourg V-R, Bachelet Gevrey, and Fourrier Gevrey were all in great spots.

Not necessarily an indicator for the top wines, but wishful thinking :slight_smile:

Very very nice Mugnier Fuees last week in DC courtesy of Maureen. Needs some air to open and really kick into gear - about 1-1.5 hours. Beautiful milk chocolate-raspberry nose (I sound like Rovani but it’s true). Still tons of energy but integrating on the palate. Lovely bottle. Not as hard as some vintages of this wine at age 10.

Thanks Sanjay,

Some good examples of '08’s there, and the DRC’s are very good also.

Still a vintage I am a little unsure about long term, as some don’t look as good as they did on/near release, but definately some very good wines at the top.

The interesting thing with 08 is how some of the wines are bricking and showing more age in color and flavor than one would expect at year 10. Not necessarily a bad thing. I noticed this with a case of 08 Bertheau Chambolle a couple of years ago, a bottle of 08 Liger Belair Colombiere, and this past weekend a 08 Faiveley Mazis. All were drinking very well.

That concern has been voiced by a few ITB people in our wine group. I cannot see them falling apart in the forseable future although my sample size is small and biased at towards the best producers. Often we are playing a waiting game with Burgundy hoping to catch a glimpse of the bottle at its plateau or peak. I would not mind if they have an earlier drinking window.

Some '01’s did this sort of premature aging thing also, but seem to have come out the other side now Ok…