2008 La Grande Dame

Interesting and disconcerting. I haven’t had one since early on. I’ll have to revisit.

dudeeee… just saw your signature that’s awesome… [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Maybe I need to hold my bottles for a while when they arrive

I’m in the minority so hopefully it’s just a difference in taste and you enjoy them. Maybe crack one to find out?

1 Like

No doubt I would rather drink the Bollinger and their NV is one of my favorite maybe other than Vilmart’s.

Don, I’ve not purchased this wine for a few years now after having so many flawed bottles, especially older ones that have not stood up to the test of time and were highly oxidized. I used to buy this for my wife who I called La Grande Dame. I loved their 1985 and 1988 and especially the 1990, but since, it seems this tete de cuvee has not held up to the previous standards I had grown to expect. In the last few years, I’ve had the 1995 and 1996 2 different times and all were oxidized although seemingly coming from respected provenance. A recent 1999 was really bad.

If there were to be a re-kindle, the 2008 vintage would be the one to stimulate such, so I may have to give it a try after your remarks- many thanks.

Yep I definitely will!

Blake,

2008 Grande Dame is a good one in my book and unlike any other recent Grande Dame. Acutally, the recent 04-06-08 trio are all very good and quite different. The 04 being a mineral and precise beauty that captures the sunshine of 2004. 2006 manages to bring elegance to a heavier vintage and the 08 takes advantage of all the brilliance that 2008 brought to Pinot Noir. In general, moving forward, Grande Dame will focus on mineral, elegant Pinot Noir.

As far as past vintages go, the 90s releases were prone to poor transportation and storage once the wines left the main import warehouses for distribution. They also sat on the shelves a while as the wine didn’t really sell all that well. 1996 was great right on release and soon after, but then went the route of 96 Pinot oxidation. With good storage, the 90, 93, 95, and 98 all drink well.

Also as good as the blanc is, the Rose is consistently one of the best in Champagne. Mesmerizing stuff. Every vintage except 1995 has been stellar.

2 Likes

Brad,
Thanks for posting!
With mixed reviews it’s reassuring to see your response.
I will be a buyer of the rose.
Thanks

Appreciate the info Brad. I may jump back in on at least the 08` AND the roses.