2008 red burgundy premier cru..... sucks

Thanks William , that was a fun night . Agree with you and with Peter H.’s comments .
I hope it will be good 25 years from now .
Please note that we did not dislike all the wines and did not taste any grand cru’s

I had a Vosne 1er Cru 2008 recently (Lamarche), barely any fruit, only acidity, sharp, unenjoyable -
no idea if there is anything to develope and evolve - ?

Its an high acidic vintage- often screeching acidities in the village vines. At release I tasted many wines Village and 1er cru and found them lacking in fruit and overwhelming acidity. However, I did a comprehensive tasting of Rousseau and found them to be very attractive. Purchased quite a few cases at very reasonable prices.
Opened a 2008 Rousseau Clos de Beze two weeks ago. Looked very good. Had a pretty good de Courcel Clos de Epenots and Ruigens and Voillot Epenots of late .

last year we did a 2008 vintage 10 year retrospective. All GCs. The standout wines were from Rousseau ( Chambertin, clos de Beze, Ruchottes) , Mugneret Gibourg (Ruchottes, Echezeaux), Hudelot Noellat RSV.

Its a year to buy very selectively.

Have only opened a couple '08’s, Bellene 1er VR Petit Monts & a Dujac village MSD. The Bellene wasn’t memorable, but the Dujac was beautiful and had suitable ripeness & balance. Both opened in 2017.

Alan, is that you?

Had a very disappointing Fourier clos st Jacques Vv last week. Kept waiting for it to soften up. It didn’t. Even the next day.

FOMO…not.

Fourrier’s 2008s weren’t very good on release and I’d have to imagine they’re not gonna be any better now. But there were other '08s that seemed real nice on release that advanced in an unfriendly way on a much faster track than I would have expected. It does have me worried. 1996 has always seemed like the closest precedent, for better or for worse.

Hi Herwig,

Did you folks decant your 2008s or pour them straight from the bottles?

All the Best,

John

i recently bought some lignier 2008 1er morey saint denis bottles on the cheap. cellartracker reviews say theyre amazing and score it maybe 93.5.

i trust you people more but are cellartracker reviews generally to be believed?

while we’re at it, has anyone had any morey saint denis 1er from 2008?

This report is a little concerning, as I bought a fair amount of 2008 (prices were good and I liked many of the wines)–most of which is still sitting. However my experience with what wines I’ve had has been almost universally positive (Lambrays, Drouhin Amoureuses, various Hudelot-Noellat, Chevillon, Bize). As usual, I would bring up the fact that, for a number of vintages, 11 years of age can be a problematic time. And I also wonder, as John asked, what prep the wines got.

The Gevrey VV was very delicious at release and a few years later
Have to retaste now

Same. I think Fourrier is just very divisive at this point.

Pop and pour For some , others opened the wine much earlier ( to taste if the wine was not corcked etc )

Thanks, Herwig. There will likely be a lot of disagreement about this, but I would likely have opened and probably double decanted 2-3 hours ahead for red burg of this age for my own purposes. Who knows if the wines would have shown differently, but your information is helpful to me in assessing your notes.

So funny; google asks if I want this thread translated every time I open it, and it is the ONLY thread it asks me that question. Weird, huh?

2008 Robert Chevillon NSG Pruliers 1er Cru - Yes it’s relatively tight and very bright but there’s a lot to like here. Earth, mild spice with appealing red fruit. Tannins need air and time. Probably best to ignore it for 5+ years and it should easily last that and then some.

RT

We’ve always loved '08s–terroir vintage IMO.

More an acid vintage imo, the terroir often hidden behind shrill acidity.
Not a great fan, acidity do not get less with age (like tannins).
But there are exceptions where I think it eventually will work out well.

Not 1er Cru but opened a 2008 Bize Savigny Les Beaune last night. Tough, tough wine. So much acid and maybe even harsh tannin? Some underripe red fruit aspects but the structure was so dominant. I don’t have much experience but certainly unlike any Burgundy I’ve had.