2009 Ch. Cantemerle, Haut-Medoc [Notes on 2010 Cantemerle added 5/4/14]

I might have to track some down. Appreciate the info.

Just grabbed some '78 Cantemerle at a great price ($30) a couple of weeks ago - looking forward to popping one soon. Sounds like there hasn’t been much of a style change at that address.

Some of the ‘70s Cantemerles are very good and still holding up. There has definitely not been any style change in terms of the usual modernization bag o’ tricks, but I have noticed a big quality uptick since about '05 or so, the wines just feel so much silkier and classier.

1 Like

I believe they started using a new method of individual grade, rather than cluster, selection around then.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the 09’s and 10’s evolve. I bought two cases of each (a lot for me) and am looking forward to comparing the two for a long time. Thanks for the note Robert, be sure to post if you pop a 10 this weekend.

I paid 21 or so for my 2000’s, and a little less for my 1998’s. This is a great estate in my book, and almost 15 years later to pay slightly less than double for it is not too bad an inflationary rate (not great, but not too bad, either).

+1.

The 2000 was a nice, aromatic, light(er) weight claret that was drinking splendidly by 2006/7, and has been in decline since 2010/11 (though not everyone agrees with this assessment).

The 2005 and 2009 in comparison are much deeper and structured.

I don’t recall drinking one that’s older than 1996 and with the Cantemerle love-fest here, this thread is making a case for a Cantmerle vertical!
Just peeked into winesearcher and saw plenty of availability, from 1961 all the way to 2013.

Really enjoyed an 83 last year.

I’ve got a couple 09s coming from Bassins to pair with my 6 pack of the 2010. I’m not surprised to read ++ reviews.

That would be fun! I’ve got several different vintages in the cellar I could contribute.

Thanks for the note Robert and the helpful comparison to Lanessan - I am new to Bordeaux and had a 2001 Lanessan that made me very happy. Went on the lookout for this Cantemerle at my local stores and found some around $40 - picked up a few to hide away.

At our orlando psuedo-2010 en primeurs…cantemerle was a clear qpr stand out

Ramon, I think you were at '83 horizontal at Harry’s Hanover Sq last year, we had a very good bottle of the Cantemerle.
I’d be up for a vertical, have several vintages

I remember that I had to pull out at about the last minute of that dinner Dale.

My pleasure! Funny coincident that I popped an 01 Lanessan on Thursday. Delish.

I wish I had purchased more '01 Lanessan when b21 had them for like $25. They were an excellent value. Bc of this thread I’ll probably get some '10 Cantemere to go with my '09s

The 2010 has been decanted in the interest of science! Will start pouring in 2 hours.

In the meantime, I went back to ABC to pick up more of the '09, which was on sale for $32.99. I should have grabbed even more, then. It’s back up to $40 - still decent - so I grabbed more with a $10 off purchases of $75 coupon. They also had 2009 Poujeaux on sale for $30, so I grabbed more of that. Great pricing from this local store.

Going outside to catch a bass. I’m 2-0 against my son with his new rod. I’ve got the touch!

Thanks for taking another one down in the name of research. Enjoy!

2010 Chateau Cantemerle, Haut Medoc.
Another major winner for this estate. Slightly better than 2009, but also more closed. I would not even call it approachable, whereas the 2009 is young but accessible.

After almost 3 hours of decanting, and lots of coaxing, this wine is showing me a glimpse of love back. Nose relatively closed, but the body is wonderful. Dense red and dark fruits, more dark-fruited than the '09. Intense concentration of fruit on the palate. Some tar, leather, tobacco, but faint, still sleeping. The edges are a bit ragged, finish is a wall of tannin, dry with a little sweetness.

I think this wine is potentially better than 09 but only if you are willing to forget about it for 10+ years. This is traditional, classic, age-worthy Bordeaux.

Disappointed that I cracked this bottle, but was really curious how the 2010s turned out after enjoying the 2009 so much. Glad I bought a sixer. In an era of over-priced Bordeaux, and the Rollandization of so many once-classic estates, this is a gem, a 6-pack or case purchase for any traditional Bordeaux aficionado.

Thanks again, I’ll keep the lids on my cases awhile. How’d the bass fishing go?