2010 Felsina Chianti Classico

Almost everything in Tuscany in 2010 is a hit. I will guess both wines are great. The Cab Sav in VDS can be a little heavy and big. Depending on how it is handled anything above 5% can start to poke through the Sangiovese.

My mood rarely changes, Bryon…only what interests me around here and what I choose to say about it!

Just finished a delicious bottle of the 10 Riserva. Very easy drinking from the pop of the cork. Gained structure over the two hours it was open. I just checked some of my usual sources and inventories are thin. If you are looking for more, get 'em while you can!

Much better…

Good timing Carl as I finally had my first 10 Rancia on Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised at the complexities of the nose at this early stage ( I gave it a lot of air before hand), the palate, not quite as giving but loaded with potential. This could be the best Rancia of the last 20 years, a decade plus will tell the true story of coarse. Now I need to get some bottles of the regular Riserva.

Load up on all of 2010 Chiantis. I think it is a great vintage.

Some of the initial vintage on ratings for Chianti has 2011 scoring higher than 2010.
Can we cool it with all of this chianti talk? I’ve lived through enough wine talk pumping on the internet over the past two decades only to see steep rises in prices for some of my favorite wines and varietals. [thankyou.gif]

Personally, the relatively few I have tasted have been much better from 2010 than 2011, which struck me as a simpler “fruity” vintage. Especially the Isole e Olena, which seemed much better in 2010.

I opened a 10 Felsina CC last night. I’ve bought six and am contemplating more.

First impression was a lot of dark, deep fruit, but a heavy dose of dry tannin, coffee notes, and oak at the finish. It seemed to have promise, but was not really in a good place.

A second small glass a few hours later was improved, still a bit too oaky but rounding out. I saved most of the bottle for tonight or tomorrow, I’ll report back. Overall, I’m encouraged, but wouldn’t plan to open my next bottle for several years.

Drinking a Felsina CCR now. Dark red color, floral nose, good acidity, dry tannins, iron, plum, mint on the finish, no heat. Frankly a nice PnP. I don’t drink much CCR, but when I do, it will be '10 Felsina.

Wish I had bought more of the 2010 Felsina CCR. Felsina really hit the home run in 2010 I think…

Its still available at very good price at Vin Chicago

Bob,

Was that from Lamole? I just picked up a Chianti from Lamole called Castellinuzza e Piuca, which may have been one part of a larger estate in '71. Lamole is a very interesting Chianti village, I think.

Having tasted both the Chianti Classico and CCR (not Rancia), the CCR seemed well worth the extra few bucks.

2011 was a good vintage. 2010 was a great one. I have tasted only a few wines that were close to 2010. And none that were equal.

Oliver, I don’t know - I didn’t take a picture of the bottle at the time, so no way to “recreate history”.

2009 Rancia is current vintage in my area, does this require less patience than 2010?
I 'm still sitting on some 2004s.

I think Vin Chicago only ships in-state, but WineSearcher shows numerous retailers on both coasts offering the '10 CCR at under $25 ( [dance-clap.gif] ); I just ordered a six-pack from Saratoga Wine Exchange, up in NY.

Hmm, better jump on them…

For the 2009 versus 2010 comparison on the Rancia, see notes by Ian d’Agata. He thought both were great (I have not tried the 2009 myself), but the 2010 completely different in style. The 2010 is remarkably accessible now, although I am not recommending depleting your stash early.

I popped a bottle over the weekend and am further sold on CC’s (& BdM’s) in 2010. What a great year for Tuscan Sangiovese.