2011 Quilceda Creek Cab Who is buying

Do we need to have another conversation about basic economics? Something is worth what someone will pay. If people are paying, it’s not too expensive. Class dismissed.

Kinda did in that thread, but guess it’s not ‘best’ enough? neener

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Actually, wines are now pending.

Probably no one, because Quilceda Creek tastes nothing like Kool-Aid. Maybe prune juice + Everclear, but definitely not Kool-Aid. [cheers.gif]

I’ve liked the Palengat Red Wine, a BDX blend they make with around 70% cab or so, and sells for around $90. It doesn’t have the harsh tannins of the cabernet or the Columbia Red Wine, and I think the value proposition is better than cabernet, while not necessarily being super strong QPR. I think the Palengat is maybe bit on the soft/round side, and is a good one for earlier drinking, while still having the melange of mint, dark chocolate, black fruits and so forth as you’d expect from a QC.

I opened a 2005 QC cab last fall, and for my tastes, the wood and tannin are still too strong to be enjoyable. It’s not sweet or goopy or hot, as people in this thread suggest about QC, but the oak and tannin were just too much, even with a big steak. I took it on a whim to a steakhouse on my birthday, and so it didn’t get a long decant, and that probably would have helped.

I see the value proposition thing from both sides. Quilceda is selling a wine with a $180+ market value for $140, plus their price escalation on that wine over the last 15 years has been really pretty reasonable when you look at it, so you can’t really complain about their pricing. On the other hand, I can see how, like most $140+ wines, there are better values available out there for your dollar if you know where to look.

I personally have nothing against the price of QC.
My problem is with the wine, particularly since the change in style.
I had the 02 back in the fall and found it sickeningly sweet and over-oaked with little to no acid to balance the ripe flavors.
But, to each his own. Lots of people like listening to Michael Bolton sing but I’m still going to make fun of them.

I celebrate the man’s entire catalog. [cheers.gif]

[rofl.gif]

I’m not going to tell you what I’m listening to–you’ll probably make fun of me [cheers.gif]

You’re probably one of those phonies who tells everyone he loves jazz so dearly because it’s soooo sophisticated, but turns that boring crap off ten seconds after company leaves and turns on NCIS or Big Brother.

neener

I made him an offer that I thought he’d refuse…besides, I rather like skittles. They’re my favorite candy. [thumbs-up.gif]

That’s a good context in which to evaluate these wines - what is it worth to you.
The wine itself has value from the pleasure it brings you. There is also value for some in possessing a certain bottle.
You have to work out the value of each of those in your own mind.

(I’ve been dropped from the mailing list for not ordering)

I can’t decide on this vs. passe Bordeaux.

Long-time WB lurker. I’ve been buying QC for eight years. Until this year, my allocation has been six bottles and one mag, and I’d usually take two or three bottles. This year, they cut my allocation to just a single bottle, which came as a bit of a shock. I ordered one and wishlisted a second, but honestly, it made me question whether I should continue ordering.

Not sure how you’d slot this as a psychological quirk / disorder, but I hate ordering a single bottle of anything. I always need a spare. :wink:

amj

And I have not gotten my email yet.

I know production was down in Washington in 2011, but was the harvest that bad?

amj

I logged in to my account and it said I can order on Jan 15. I don’t think I’ve ever bought my full allocation (maybe the first time or two if it was small, but I don’t remember). So I’ll be interested to see what they offer me this time. Honestly I’m probably only in the mood to buy one or two bottles anyway, so that wouldn’t break my heart.

Got mine small offering & asked for more

Thanks. Just took a look. Monday the 13th for me.

+1

I bought a couple today. Even if only to be able to sneak them blind into a tasting with Saxon, it is soooo worth it.
flirtysmile

BTW- My allocation was way lower than years past as well. Granted I haven’t used my full alloc in years either.