2011 Taittinger Comtes

My objection to Galloni’s score is that he scored it at all when it sounds like both bottles were flawed. Like Cellartracker, Vinous (and the WA) have developed an indicator for when the reviewer thinks the bottles are not representative to signal that consumers should be wary; they score it with a “?”. I have no doubt that Galloni accurately wrote up what he tasted, and what he tasted was crap. I have no objection to publishing a review stating that. If there are problems with the bottles, he is doing a service to alert consumers. I just don’t think he should have given it a score if there are reasonable grounds to think the bottles were flawed.

2 Likes

Great description.

1 Like

Or that one of the bottles was clearly flawed (“vegetal”), while the other was “unyielding and compact”. To start, these sound like two very different notes, and two different wine bottles.

So why give 75 points to an “unyielding and compact” Champagne, unless he is taking the harmonic mean of the two bottles he tasted? One of which was flawed, and cricky says, should not have been rated at all…

Nice note, Brad, and nice analysis. Your comments are pretty much in line with my impressions, though I found the 2011 more structurally open than you did, by the sound of it. For what it’s worth, I’ve only tasted it in France so far, as I haven’t been back to the US since the release.

2 Likes

I had this last week as part of a large BdB grower lineup (this was a bit of a ringer) and it was fine, but generally unimpressive. Certainly compared to some of the other wines, it didn’t stand out. I’d cellar some at the 2006 pricing, but at the post 2008 pricing it’s a pass.

1 Like

I tasted the 2007 at the winery in 2018 prior to its release (at least in the US) and rather liked it. I had it again soon after it was released here and thought it was not as good as it was in 2018 (a bit thin and acidic). Over the last year, I have had the 2007 three times and it seems to have gotten better each time I tasted it. Could the 2011 just be going through a strange phase right now and should judgment be withheld for a year or two? I doubt that this wine will sell as quickly as the 2008 and my guess is prices will not be moving on it over the next year or two (except maybe downward), esp. given the reputation or lack thereof of the vintage. So, why make a decision now except to try the wine?

Where has Michael been?

Anyway, for those not put off by the foregoing discussion, Zachy’s has this wine on a “flash sale” for $149. I haven’t seen any vintage of this wine “below $150” in quite some time.

1 Like

The funniest part of that email was that they actually used a Galloni quote!

2 Likes

[quote=“Jon_Lawrence, post:16, topic:175090”]
, I tasted it as well at Taittinger (no transport issues), and was not impressed.
[/quote]me, too. They wouldn’t let me try 08 or 12.