2012 Maison Ilan

I distinctly remember the 09 offer was shipping included and it was also clear that was a first year perk.

From what I’ve seen a ballpark number would be ~$150, but it can depend on lots of factors such as destination, compliance, urgency, etc.

This seems like a strange move. I want my wine as much as the next guy, but I wouldn’t want it shipped from AIW in July/August anyway. It seems that cargo ship would still make it in time for Fall shipping and save a fair amount of money. Anyone else see the blog post about the 2013’s for sale?

Well, I wasn’t going to buy until I saw Ray jump over that brook with a wine glass in his hand. Really sold it for me.

was it known at ordering time that the purchaser would be lI able for air freight v sea freight?

Rick -

In my case, shipping (of any kind) was not discussed at the time of purchase.

Following 2009, the policy, at least as it was told to me by Ray and, at the time, in his emails, was that MI was responsible for the shipping and importation costs to the US and that the customer was responsible only for the shipping costs from the US distributor to the customer. If this has changed, it was certainly never communicated to me, or anyone else that I am aware of.

This is how I understood it as well, and it’s consistent with how it worked for 2011s.

I inquired with AIW a week ago and also received a quick reply:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your e-mail. We are bringing in a trial shipment arriving 7/25 by sea. At the moment we are not exactly sure who is getting these packages. Everything is being pre-packaged in France for each individual customer. We want to make sure we can work with Ray and that the problems in the past are not endemic to his working behaviors. Everything on our end is set up for a smooth ride through the system.

Please keep in touch with us going forward through Frank Hingley. His e-mail is Frank@adventuresinwine.com

Has anyone communicated with AIW and asked if they have a client list of who is owed what? Or are they relying on Ray to let them know who gets what wines?

Oh boy–saddle up.

That’s my biggest fear.

Looking at my offer for the 11’s I read this;

Wine must be shipped to a physical address where an adult (over 21 years of age) will be available to sign for the package. P.O. boxes are not acceptable. Orders will be shipped during May 2013 (weather permitting). Shipping charges will be accessed once we are closer to shipping dates to eliminate unnecessary expenditures for our clients.

I took this to mean that shipping wasn’t included. Just my opinion of course.

I received an e-mail from Maison Ilan on Sunday, July 12. Here are some excerpts from the message that pertain to shipping. Of note, there is a specific shipping information page on winery blog.

http://blog.maison-ilan.com/shipping-news/

2015 is shaping up to be a truly special year for us! We’ve bottled tow vintages, the 2012s and 2013s back to back, and have already begun shipping both vintages to our importers and direct clients!! We have found great partners for all of our shipping logisitcs in Adventures in Wine (for the USA), and UPS for everywhere else. This has already been an amazing year for us, with shipments going out throughout the World. The emails and phone calls confirm that they have been doing an amazing job and will only get better!

For those outside of the USA:

Many of you have received your 2012 and 2013 orders, with more to send once there is a break from the European heatwave. During this time, your wines are safely tucked away in our cave (2012), with the 2013s resting in the 12th century cellars of the Abbaye de la Bussière. This building was purpose-built by the Cistercian monks and keeps quite cold throughout the summer! Your wines are being held until we have cooler shipping conditions. Your shipping addresses will be confirmed prior to shipping.

For those inside of the USA:

All remaining 2011 and previous vintages odds and ends left our winery on June 16th, 2015 heading to Beaune prior to being shipping via Sea Freight. All USA-bound 2012 and 2013 private client orders will arrive in Beaune on Monday and then be shipped to the USA by Air Freight. Sea Freight takes quite a while more than air transport does, and so the 2012s and 2013s will be arriving in San Francisco at nearly the same time. Rest assured, the Sea Freight container is temperature controlled throughout its passage.

Once the wines arrive in the USA, Adventures in Wine (of Daly City, California) will contact each of you directly to confirm their receipt of your orders. Your orders have all been individually packed from the winery. This is a departure from our previously shipping on appellation specific pallets with orders packaged upon arrival.

***Please note that you must register any shipping address preferences to Adventures in Wine once you are contacted by them. They will initiate contact. This is your responsibility to register this information with Adventures in Wine, as well as an updated phone number. ***

Adventures in Wine has a temperature controlled warehouse in Daly City, California. Once your wines arrive in the USA, you will be notified by Adventures in Wine directly. They are handling 100% of the logistics from the wines leaving Maison Ilan until their arriving in your hands. Your shipping addresses will be confirmed prior to shipment. You will also be given the option of having your wines held for cooler shipping weather or picking your wines up, which can also be done by someone via your written authorization.

SHIPPING NEWS PAGE
Your source for Shipping Updates Direct from our winery!

We are currently developing a new website which will include an online ordering system. This ordering system will have your order status which will be refreshed at key moments after your ordering. Until then, we have a temporary SHIPPING NEWS PAGE setup at our BLOG. Any shipping address changes can be sent to us (US based clients will need to register this information with Adventures in Wine as well) with the subject “ADDRESS CHANGE”. Any other queries regarding SHIPPING can be found on the Shipping News Page of our blog as it is THE source for shipping information, updated in real time. All queries regarding shipping updates will be directed toward this page.

Looks like it won’t be airfreight for the 2012s and 2013s after all,

From the Shipping News page on the blog …

2012 and 2013 (PRIVATE CLIENT – From En Primeur Orders) – Dropped off in Beaune July 13th, 2015 at JF Hillebrand. The wines will travel by seafreight to Adventures in Wine (Daly City, CA). Update: July 25th: The initial plan to have the wines shipped via Air has been changed to seafreight travel due to concerns around local weather conditions. These wines are shipping from Beaune in August. We will update this page once the wines have been picked up, and they will contact each of you for your orders once they arrive Stateside

I am not sure why it took a month for wines to get from Maison Ilan’s cellars to Beaune, but if the prior dates were correct, and the new ones are, such would appear to be the case …

Of course, this is Maison Ilan, and if I have learned anything it is that shipping dates and promises are fungible.

Has anyone been contacted yet by AIW or is it still too early?

No updates to Shipping News for the 2012s since July 25th, but, hey, cut Ray a break, it’s been hot in Beaune and he has been busy setting up the online store so that he can sell the 2013s and 2014s, which are now on sale. Priorities first, you know!

Zero, zilch, nada

I will contact them this week and report, if no one else does.

Maybe that is a good thing? After he gets in the revenue, he can source the wine! Of course, then he will send it to the wrong address, blame you, ask Stephane, get in his brother, and appear on TV. While that is happening, everybody should be following his social media outlets for pointers. First one to solve the riddle, wins…

Per his tweet. 2012s are in Daly, CA at Adventures. They have been there a couple of weeks.

George