2012 Williams Selyem

Many thanks Bill!

I think there’s gonna be some growing pains at WS. They have got to be a little concerned with their prices whether people are going to stay with them for the transition, as many left when Cabral came aboard in 1998.
After a few lackluster vintages he turned things around and has made really solid wines since 2005. They have great Vineyard sites/growers and you “pay” for this, almost like an insurance policy. But it seems, or it just may be my jaded berserker mind, that Pinot seems to trend and Cabral leaving will effect alot of people who have been buying on reputation and paying for the “insurance” no longer have Cabrals blending to fall back on. We will see.
Cabral had a great run! flirtysmile

I’m in a similar spot as Dick. I’m passing on the spring mailer but I might as well keep buying Rochioli Riverblock and a few others from the fall. A few.

I will be going light on W-S this go around as I have too much already. I think that WS will see some tight years with the loss of Cabral; hopefully the new team will get it right.

I agree that the early Cabral vintages were a bit mixed, but i would argue he turned it around a little earlier than 2005. I think 2002 on the whole was pretty successful and 2003 and 2004 were very good, especially given the hot drought vintages they were. Many of the 2003s and 2004s drink very well today. That’s one thing with Selyem wines (Burts or Bobs), they really demand age to show their best. They’re also definitively Californian, so folks looking for Burgundian clones will be disappointed.

In terms of this release I agree that prices are high, allocations a little silly (lots of 1 bottle allocations) and the wines on release not usually the ones i target (I focus more on the fall release). I will say the Sonoma County has traditionally been a must buy for me. Best value of all their wines, drinks a little better earlier, but also ages very very well. But i’m not sure i’ll bother with my 1 bottle allocation. One of the perks of ordering a little from them is you do get to visit the winery. I think they conduct outstanding visits, showing you around the vineyard and winery as well as tasting through a variety of wines from their cellar. They also have a list of aged wines dating back to the early 80s that you can buy direct.

Agreed, there Pickup Parties are Outstanding! [wow.gif]

Cabral is the first to admit that it took him awhile to really pick up the pieces when Burt didn’t really stick around to pass the baton as was the agreement. I will be really interested in seeing what he has cooking, and I’m expecting the folks on this board with more connections than myself will certainly share the inside scoop once details are released.

I Do agree with the aging. When I first joined the list(2006?) I opened out of excitement and was somewhat disappointed remembering a tasting I had had in 1994. Now I revisit those first wines and wish I had more.

I do have much more faith in this hand-off, simply because Cabral has been working with Jeff M. for the last 3 vintages prior to leaving.

agreed. That is how you do it. Apprenticeship is important

Just visited the winery. The tasting was great, especially their library wines. They mentioned nothing about Cabral leaving. I didn’t bring it up.

So since they say that the 2014 vintage will be his last, then I assume that he will be leaving after next Fall?