2013 Harlan

There doesn’t seem to be a waiting list which makes me think they aren’t selling it all. The real question is how much are they moving. Would they be better off lowering the price and selling out or are they fine carrying the inventory? you can get 2-3 bottles of seriously good wine for the price of 1 of these which is the dilemma.

I just checked wine-searcher - 2009 for $575, 2010 for $675. I know I’ve seen it in email offers for less. $100 increase for the 2011 was a real head-scratcher, it should have gone the other way.

For what its worth, I asked to be added to the mailing list back about four months ago, and I was given an ‘opportunity’ at the first chance.

My prediction is that the wine drinker who has the capacity and willingness to indulge in these high end Cult Cabs ages, consumption will inherently decrease. The next generation (or two) for the most part isn’t interested necessarily in what their fathers were collecting. I am 38, and most of my friends would rather frequent a hip new craft cocktails spot than go to a wine bar.

The world is changing, and the folks nestled up in Oakville or on Pritchard Hill, etc. need to be aware of the shifting trends. I’m sure they have a legion of high priced consultants that are relaying these facts to them.

Demographic changes FORCE change over time. But by then the Bill Harlan and Stan Kroehnkes of the world will either be long gone or have sold out to the Private Equity firms.