2013 Napa Cabernets - Top Favorites So Far?

Opened a Schrader RBS…shockingly powerful…wait wait wait!

I cannot believe Jay Hack has not posted on A Set of Aces!

(Congrats Jay…big win yesterday)

I’ve been buying from Chris Maybach since the 05 release, and asked him if we can come taste with him on our Napa visit last month. As there is no winery he declined, but suggested we visit the new Mending Wall winery where Maybach and many others are made. From Mending Wall, we were directed to Outpost. As far as rankings of the three:

Maybach is in its own league in my opinion.
Then Outpost.
Then Maybach.

But each of three is exceptional.

As an aside, there is a fascinating discussion on a recent 2007 Maybach Materium in a CT tasting note in the comments (look for the note with 10 or more comments). Reviewer said the wine is fading. I haven’t had one in a while, but have a few bottles left in the cellar. I can’t believe it’s fading permanently and am hopeful it’s just in a dumb phase. Would appreciate any thoughts on this wine in particular, or the longevity of TRB wines in general.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, guys. I signed up for the mailing lists for Outpost, MW and the waiting list for Maybach. Rivers Marie website is down but I will check that one out too. Really looking forward to trying these.

1 Like

Haven’t had many but these two stood out.

2013 Silverado Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Geo - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (12/14/2019)
Sunfish Cellars Napa Valley Extravaganza (Sunfish Cellars/I Nonni Minneapolis, MN): Plum, cherry, earth, tobacco and dark chocolate. This wine is concentrated and possesses a long finish. Drinking well right now however will benefit from additional aging. (93 points)

2013 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/3/2019)
Wonderful effort featuring plum, cherry, earth, pencil lead and spice. Very complex, long finish. This will benefit with additional cellaring. Look forward to the evolution. 93 to 95. (93 points)

1 Like

'13 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Cuvée

Sorry all… this is an old post originally that is reposting for some reason.

1 Like

We had this last weekend, fantastic

Anyone try Anderson’s Conn Valley from 2013?

I haven’t had it since 2017 but thought it had a lot of potential. Planning on having another one some time over the next year.

I didn’t bother keeping notes on 13, 14, 15 but have found them to be so consistent and impressive vintage after vintage, not overdone in extraction, oak, not “huge”, etc. I’ll probably dump one of my expensive Napa allocations for a 6 or 12 btl case of DP down the line. I decant 1-2 hours and dive in.

Good to see Mending Wall, it was one of the first I thought about for the 13’s. I still have 2 bottles and even a 2012. 13, 15 and 16 were outstanding.
Had a young Barlow 2013 that needed hours of decant time but it was A+

Groth and Stag’s Leap Faye Hillside have been my tops so far for what I have ventured to open, and I have not opened many yet. Mostly why not bottles with friends.

Yes, and I think they need more aging. If you have any older vintages, the 2010 Eloge is pretty damn good, and the 2007 Eloge is fabulous.

1 Like

Drinkward Peshcon- I am a big fan, but not too sure about the 2015 at this point. Have tried a few and consistently a bit overblown ( by my tastes, and compared to other DW intakes) and the balance just does not seem to be there. Maybe down the road, but I have my doubts.

Opened an Alexis (Swanson) and really enjoyed it tonight with ribeyes. Easily the most structured wine I’ve had from them, fine tannin, surprisingly good acidity, fruit was dark / rich but not cloying. Wish I had a couple more to open in 5-10 years, I’d probably say give it another 2-3 to see if the tannin mellows.

Thanks for those notes. I have one 15 left and will take it for the team and post my thoughts in the next month or so if someone doesn’t before then. I should find a 14 or 16 to side by side it with.

No worries. It’s a great thread. I for one generally like 2013

Tough to go wrong with the Todd.

Rivers-Marie Panek and Myriad GIII are my top '13s with Duckhorn Howell Mt also tasting great. I think the '13 ACVV needs some more time, similar to the '16, which is interesting.