2014 Aeris Etna Bianco Superiore - DRINK UP!

It’s interesting that lower sulfur levels will lead to that much variation unless shipping and storage were that variable. Interesting - and thanks for the further info, my friend.

Cheers

Semaphore, mermaids, shipwrecks, lonely deranged lighthouse keepers, dragging anchors, cannonfire, vampires transported in coffins (wait no that’s Mourvedre), three foot visibility with a distant bell buoy clanging, a visit from a school of flying fish, moldy foul weather gear, a very serious and potentially violent man at the helm abandoning the mission to chase the Great White Waitress he met once in Cabo and only he thought it was love and he heard she “might” be in Moorea, playing poker down below with bottle caps yet it still led to fistfights and rigging knives were brandished briefly…the usual wine descriptors…Semper Fi

Somebody needs to lash George to the mast.

Ooohhh OK

George,

Hmm, that sounds right up my alley. Gonna have to add “Learn to sail” to my bucket list.

Back to the OP topic: I haven’t liked any of the '14 Aeris I’ve opened. I found them dull with a bitter quality. I had asked for a credit for three of my six, but never heard back and let it slide. I have one left, and I’ll keep it a while. I love carricante (I have a bit of Benanti and Terre Nere), and most everything Rhys has done (especially Syrah), so I bought the '16 despite my dislike of the '14.

Cheers,
Warren

That seems to flatly contradict George’s statement:

Low sulfur . . . much bottle variation. Sounds like classic premox.

I certainly trust Kevin on how the wines were vinified and bottled.

But, sulfur levels, esp increasing sulfur, doesn’t have a good record on preventing white burg premox. Bottle variation otoh does have a wb premox ring to it, but that always made me wonder if that (the bottle variation) was revealing some bbls that were poorly cared for during elevage, and was a ‘real’ cause of premox. Fevre, ex-poster child of premox, has been pretty up front about their various changes…including elevage changes. Note…my comments are just about wb premox…don’t know anything about Aeris’ unfortunate situation, but Rhys has always been top notch, of course.

John - Yes, my bottles were bought from Rhys on release and shipped to me in NY. They have been stored in ideal conditions since they arrived.

After several WB tasters panned the wine I had to try for myself.
PnP
Pale yellow; hint of smoke, reminds me of a single malt, also whiffs of Riesling like fusel oil; super dry tropical fruit flavors, the driest Gerwurztraminer imaginable; tart apple acidity, but also a little waxy sensation. Two hrs later it had settled into a more young Sauvignon Blanc profile.

2nd day the reductive notes are gone and the mid palate has put on some weight. Some apple/pear flavors beginning to come through.
This is a very different varietal that will take some more exposure to understand. That this doesn’t hit the usual aromatic and sensory buttons may be why some tasters are disappointed so far.

Interesting the 3 times I have had this wine it always had a very inviting floral nose which lines up with other producers renditions of this varietal.

Sean

Based on this thread i opened up a bottle for some Saturday afternoon contemplation. My first of 4 bottles purchased direct from the winery and stored well since. This is showing very nice… I hope my remaining 3 show as well.

Lovely nose of white flowers, ripe stonefruit and dried Italian herbs.

Nice presence across the palate. Starts with white peaches, takes on a really mineral/wet stone mid-palate and finishes with an array of spices.

Nice acid on the end palate.

Very complex and interesting white. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Drinking the remains of a bottle 2 days after opening for lunch. Drinks the same today as it did on opening: crisp and fresh, almost lean stone fruit, plenty of citrus acidity, some lime rind, a very young wine. I’m not disputing other’s experience, I just haven’t had a bottle like that yet.

My bottle tonight was superb. This surprised me, as I bought six on release and disliked every prior bottle. I found some bitter and dull, others oxidative. I’d even asked for a partial credit (although none materialized). I thought I had rid my cellar of all of the 2014’s when I found this orphan bottle. I immediately started contemplating what I’d open as a backup.
Bright yellow with a subtle green tinge. This was a mineral-bomb, with pithy lemon and white flowers, a subtle brown spice. Zero oxidation. Medium bodied, balanced, great mouthfeel, and utterly drinkable. Delicious, and very pleasant surprise.
I almost avoided buying other vintages, but I love Carricante and thought I’d give other years a try. Unfortunately, I decreased my allocation to three bottles per vintage.
I believe this is the first thread in which I’ve disparaged and complemented the same wine in two successive posts.
Here’s to the joyous surprises wine can sometimes provide.

Warren