2014 Red Burgundy

I don’t think there’s a vintage that doesn’t close at all. I had a 2017 Fourrier Combe aux Moine blind last month and found the finish very short (it was clearly young Fourrier though), so it was definitely a touch shut down. But it was beautiful and wide open at Paulee.

That’s been my experience as well.

The vast majority of 17 is wide open. I’ve drank more than 10 cases of village, 1er, and grand cru 17 burg and less than a handful were tight, usually the ones you’d expect (barthod)

For education and because I only have so much wine given when I started buying and don’t want to drink only Bourgogne. For fun and because when it comes down to it it’s just a bottle of wine.

I have a theory that the 13s are going to be early drinkers and are potentially quite a bit better in general than their reputation would suggest. This is, admittedly, based on a relatively small number of bottles that I’ve tried from great producers - Liger Belair, Rousseau etc… Would be interested in people’s views on how they stack up vs the 14s.

I think 13s are better than people think but don’t think they’ll be early drinkers; they’re more along the lines of 06/08 imo. The only fantastic 13 I’ve had has been Ramonet Clos de la Boudriotte, which was spectacular.

Great tip… I’ve got Bernard Moreau’s 2010 Cardeuse and wanted to continue digging into red Chassagne, but wasn’t sure about which vintage of Ramonet CdlB to get my hands on. I actually found a 2001 here in Portugal but at 100+€ I was not enchanted.

15-17 are the obvious choices. 13 is a nice vintage if you can find it for a good price. I got a few <50 which is a great value.

Let me get this straight, 2017 has been in the market for about one year and you’ve already opened and consumed 120 bottles?

Yep; I drink almost exclusively burgundy, much of it young. That estimate is probably on the low side.

Prolific consumption of a single vintage, I’m going to put you on a pedestal!

50% of my consumption is burgundy. For comparison, I have a lot of 2005 burgundy, and have consumed 127 (65 red and 62 white) bottles since 2007 when I first started receiving and drinking them. That’s over 13 years.

Are you laying any 17s down to age? I love the 17 whites, and have high hopes for aging. Zero reds as I stopped buying reds in 2014.

Yeah I have put away quite a bit of 17 as well.

I have drank a handful of older vintages, primarily 09 and 15, but probably 90% of the burgundy I’ve drank lately is 17, and it makes up > 90% of our consumption. Probably a case or more of that is 17 HN Bourgogne, which is fantastic atm. A lot of Marc Roy, duroche, and Tawse village wines as well.

Howard, this is all so subjective and personal. Please could you explain what you are hoping for (and what other outcomes can occur) when Red Burgundy finally comes out of its closed period in terms of aromas, flavors and textures? Thanks [cheers.gif]

I’ve found the 2012s I’ve had to be a bit ripe and easy, which is not generally what I look for in burgundy. But they’re young and anything can happen I guess. This is, of course, also highly subjective…

[wow.gif]

Do you only drink Burgundy?

ETA: nevermind. I see this was already addressed.

This thread makes me want to crack a couple of 2014 Roumiers just to see if they’re open.

CM: yes
Cras: I liked it (as mentioned) but has time
BM: don’t do it
Ruchottes: def don’t do it

Bussiere?

Have only had those 4 14s.