2015 Allemand - prices

i’d be surprised if anyone places a bid on those.

Damn! I am old and retired and was planning on drinking yours! [wow.gif] flirtysmile

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

I wonder if this is a good strategy from Lynch in terms of supply and demand? I bought '15 Clape, Sorrel Hermitage, Billon Cote Rotie, and would have bought this if it were in the same price range as those. I would rather have five bottles of Franck Balthazar Cornas Chaillot than one bottle of this.

Bdx is such a bargain

At real release prices, I’d say it’s the best value in Northern Rhône.

FIFY.

Wish i’d bought more EP

Surely Thierry’s impending retirement must be a factor here too?

I’m sure it does, but probably less so than the 2015 hype and the seemingly recent discovery of Cote Rôtie, Cornas and St J by more mainstream wine collectors as Burgundy prices have gone stratospheric. The same thing has happened with Piemonte.

While I may scoff at people spending thousands of dollars for old bottles of Gentaz and Trollat, there are lots of folks getting in line at the unicorn market.

I guess one scoffs because they were so cheap, so recently. But I have tasted plenty of wines even more expensive than the 1990 Gentaz I drank Saturday night, and few that were as good.

Is that near? Seemed like several years down the line, at least.

I’d say that for 90%+ of all wines I bought at release. But not all of them proved to be the best value.

I only learned about Gentaz and Trollat and the old guard of the Northern Rhône a few years ago. They were already unicorns by then. Do they merit being priced twice as high as similar vintages of, say, Chave hermitage or La Chapelle? Dunno - I can’t afford any of them.

I certainly can’t afford Allemand at $250 a pop. The people who buy them will always claim they are worth it, and the people priced out will always say the markup is absurd and there are so many good wines for so much less.

I’m still annoyed at how expensive Gonon, Levet and even Gilles Barge have become.

Me, too. I should just stop buying entirely as I probably have a lifetime’s worth, but it’s a hard addiction to shake.

Is anyone here a buyer of Allemand at the prices listed in the OP? I don’t think I’ve seen one person thus far in this thread imply, or outright say, they will be buying. I am truly curious to see if they move at those prices, because they might just languish.

You know I agree. But also the fastest to appreciate lately.

That price on the 2014 has to reflect the crazy run-up when a bottle sold on WInebid a few weeks ago. There was a runner up in that auction. So we’ll see.

I think Greg sold it all. He had ppl buy both the chaillot and Reynard.

I think, not sure. My friend asked for some Reynard and was told he had to buy both so he passed.

That’s the real travesty. Chaillot is not a $220+ wine at release pricing. That’s just crazy

Interesting. I nearly pulled the trigger on some Reynard from Greg but would not have paid for the Chaillot. Ultimately I decided I was not willing to pay these prices for either of them.

On the other hand, the Crozes that Envoyer offered today seems like a no-brainer.

One person’s $220 is another’s $22. And that’s the rub.

Interesting, Charlie, about Greg’s requirement, and also that (apparently) plenty of folks where quite ready and willing to bite on Reynard at that price. I’ve not had the privilege of having a Reynard yet, but I do love the Chaillot. I’m not sure I could definitely say I don’t think it’s “worth it,” but I can definitely say I’m not interested in paying that tariff! But, mostly, that’s borne out of a function whereby I almost never spend that much on any wine … plus, there’s just so many other really nice Syrahs that cost less. A price jump this dramatic sure does feel like a bucket of cold water, though. It will be interesting to see who will take that bath.

Josh, I just received Kermit’s pricing for the 2015s, and the prices in the OP have nothing to do with Kermit. Moreover, I would be really surprised if Kermit were the source of the wines in the OP.