2015 Beaujolais TN thread - post notes here

Martin, you were the inspiration for this thread [cheers.gif]

And as you may or may not recall from the 2014 Beaujolais thread, I was one of many who was blown away by the 2014 Thivin…so much so I purchased a case. Imagine my surprise when I tasted the 2015 and felt just as moved…really, all I can say is that terroir is special and they are maximizing it.

I just hope KL restocks so you can get some in!! Which reminds me, I need to source a case of the 2015, ASAP…

I received a bottle of this after all, and got to it last night. It is easily the most darkly-colored Thivin that I have had - more like a Diochon Moulin a Vent than a Thivin Cote du Brouilly. As Alex notes, it is rich, concentrated and powerful. It will have many fans among those who enjoy that style. It may very well stretch out with time to become a wine that I enjoy, but at this very early stage I find it to be a little too much of a good thing.

A wine peddler was advertising a different cuvee of Thinvin as a “Cote Rotie”… uh, no thank you.

And that actually gets me excited!

Although should add that when it comes to wine, I’m an omnivore and I can appreciate most any well-made, non-spoof wine. Vintage variation only makes it all the more fun.

I fully agree, Alex.

2015 Pavillon de Chavannes Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Ambassades: Sorely disappointed in this showing. Deep purple in the glass, with strong, grapey aromas and a big whiff of alcohol. On the palate, more grapey flavors and an almost syrupy texture with a hot finish. No improvement on night #2. The snappy acids and stoniness I’ve long-loved in this wine are nowhere to be found, as it shows scarcely any expression of its terroir or varietal character. What happened here?

The 2009 version of this a couple of months ago was singing.

I know the 2015 vintage is supposed to be pretty open, how long are you guys planning to cellar your cru bojos?

• 2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (9/15/2016)
    The trouble is this is coming right after the incredible 2014 for me. This 2015 has beautiful blue fruit notes on the nose. Just not much in the drink. Fruit is so subtle, tannin not big but easily overpower the fruit, dusty tannins. For me, its a skipped year for Thivin CdB. This is after trying two bottles of the 2015. i have one more. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m drinking a glass of 2005 Thivin C. d. Brouilly now, and it’s delicious. I bought a case of the 05 on release, after trying one bottle, because I was so much taken with its burly tannic structure, and absence of anything in the grapy-Beaujolais department. I’ve held back about half, because I wanted to test the notes of Gilman - and a few others - who either forecast extravagent drinking windows (out to 2030 for the '05), or testify to drinking very old bottles that outshine 1er Chambolles. I haven’t tasted enough Chambolle to compare, but wine in this bottle is very fine and not remotely tired.

I’ve developed of view on well-vinified Beaujolais that, because of the generous endowment Gamay gives in both fruit and acid, the wines go through a more dramatic transformation with age than wines made from many other varieities. I’ve observed them to go through an ugly phase, where the ample, youthful fruit is collapsing (chemically), when the wine can taste vegetal and even ruined; but that it will often come through the other side with delicate, lacy acidity and transparent, nuanced fruit that is nothing like what you find in the young wine. I’ve observed this developmental curve in Beaujolais from Tete, Thivin, Vissoux, and Desvignes. 2005 Tete cuvée prestige (from magnum), which was harsh, almost alkaline in presentation several years ago, was a dream last year, as were also Vissoux '05 deux Roches and Garants from 750 a few years ago, on the second day after opening.

Anyone out there have experience with the various Thivin crus, as I have heard that Fass brings in some of his hard-to-source single vineyard designates but have not tasted them.

I’ve got Coquelet and Julien Sunier '15s in the offering queue.
I love the delicacy of Julien’s style.
I am not too familiar with the Coquelet wines, but I love great Chiroubles, and it seems that he has very good old vine sources there.
Anybody have thoughts on the Coquelet wines?
Merci.

I was curious too, as I have the Godefroy, La Chappelle and Zacharrie on order. (Well in 6 months it appears I’ll be a resource on the 2015s!)

WOW.
You guys weren’t kidding about the 2015 Lapierre Morgon.
Super good, fruit forward, dark and so so interesting.
I almost think to drink this while the 2014 ages…

Btw I detected no heat.

Some impressions on the regular Coudert Fleurie and the Cuvee Tardive below. I normally prefer the Tardive but was a little surprised at how disjointed it showed on the second day. I’ve got another bottle of the regular Fleurie going now (open since Sunday night) and it is in line with my note below, but the fruit is being tempered down by the extended aeration and is showing nicely.

2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/14/2016)
This is a robust wine with forward, succulent purple and red toned fruits; showing a touch of stalkiness on the nose that doesn’t appear on the palate until after having been opened a few hours time. For all of its ripe, youthful fruit there is a good mineral vein running through this, particularly on the backside, where some grippiness shows itself with air. Without intending to be too critical, this wine is more about what it doesn’t have than what it does, as it seems to trade snappy fruits for ripe succulence and the herbaceous streak that defines the backend of the 2014 is less noticeable here. Lastly, this sacrifices some freshness in favor of breadth and lush fruit. Nevertheless, this is a pleasant wine to drink with some good hidden structure.

2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/15/2016)
Drank this over two days and saw a big difference:

Day 1:
Pretty dark forward fruit (black raspberries, plum skin, violets) with a nice mineral vein running through the middle, which helped to keep things precise. While all about the fruit and still somewhat of a larger-scaled wine, the fruit was more in check than the normal bottling I’d had the day prior and there were still good underlying soil tones and nice structure.

Day 2:
This seemed to become overwhelmed by the fruit, which began to show a touch warm and covered up much of the nuance and structure noted from day one, I was a little disappointed.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good notes, Brian, thank you. I have only had the 2015 Thivin thus far, but this would describe it quite well. I have 2015s from Breton, Chanrion, Chignard and Dupueble arriving tomorrow from Kermit, so I will get my impressions of them up here shortly.

I’ve had a few bottles of the 14 and recently purchased a few of the 15, which I have not tried yet.

Just curious which you prefer and why you are considered drinking the 15 young and aging the 14?

I had a 2015 Lapierre Morgon (S) at lunch today. I’ll write up a formal note later in CT but here are some impressions I jotted down afterwards:

• Very polished and sexy with forward, transparent fruit
• Darker toned than other vintages; more purple and blue fruits (primary) mixed in with red fruits (secondary). Still nice and cool. Moving to a greater proportion of red fruit with air.
• Some carbonic funkiness and effervescence on opening and in entry
• Very gulpable, with sweet candied fruit tones coming out in the middle and carrying into the back (could this be what Brian H is noting as banana in post # 5???)
• Classic Lapierre riverbed/ saline/ rainwater finish that sits beneath a crest of fruit on the outset - I love this
• Mild tannin, showing up on the backside. Seemingly low acidity, though that may be deceiving as the fruit remains transparent and fresh on the palate (I often get this from M. Lapierre) and never shows any warmth.
• No real herbal notes, maybe a touch burried on the backend. There seems to be a lot more going on towards the backend.

I came away from this liking it, but thinking it will be an early drinker while the 2014s develop as it comes off lighter in structure. There’s nothing wrong with this, but it felt like it didn’t demand a lot from me as the drinker. Personally, I wonder when they picked the fruit as it is ripe but not warm and retains sufficient freshness, while managing to avoid nasty underripe tannins.

I like them both.
I think 2014 has more structure to go longer, while 2015 has silkier near term drinking,at least to me.
If I was forced to choose, I’d go with 2014…but as with all choices with wine, why not have both!! :wink:

Can’t wait to try 2015 Foillard CdPy.

+1

This is the one 2015 that I would love to be a redux of the 2009.