2015 Brunello di Montalcinos are amazing. Change my mind.

Yes, but wasn’t this said of 2010 and 2013 as well? Now 2015 and 2016. Once again, a “vintage of the century” comes around every few years, or multiple times in a decade.

I think we are at the plateau of winemaking throughout the world. Not many of the new crowd will ever experience ‘off’ vintages like my crowd did in the early 80s.

Asher, no arguing that the vintage hype machine gets irrationally exuberant four or five times a decade in many areas. That said, I have been drinking Sangiovese for the better part of 40 years, and in my personal experience I can’t ever recall two back to back vintages that I have enjoyed more on release than 2015 & 2016.

1 Like

That’s some high praise, Bob, from a guy who knows his Tuscan reds.

hi, Bob

sadly, I only have 30 years’ experience, with the bulk of that experience, and my own cellar, skewed pretty heavily toward Toscana, a place I invest at least 2 months of my time each year. That said, I believe that 2018, and 2019 will offer the same enjoyment. It’s not a stretch to say that the same will be found in the wines of Langhe during those vintages, too.

2015 was a success in the Montalcino zone, with ‘most’ finding good success; a good vintage to help the growers put 2014 in the rearview mirror. That said, I’ll be buying more '16s than I did the 2015s.

2 Likes

Tim, I’ve had a couple of 17s Rosso which we nice, but a bit riper… What’s the read on 17, 18, 19? Are 18 and 19 like 16 :flushed::flushed:

Not the 13’s. The 2010s, yes - and it’s warranted. I haven’t tried enough 15 BdM nor 16 from the Tuscan region to draw my own conclusion but many on this board seemed to be pleased with what’s being produced.

Great thread. I bought a good amount of 15 Brunello and plan to be a buyer again for 16.

I made an effort to taste through most all the 15s we got in and all have been really good. Definitely a few strata within them. My favorite of a dozen or so is Uccelliera. In a similar style and better value is Col D’Orcia. I haven’t gotten to the Il Poggione yet, but I already expect it will be among the best.

Further, the rossos from these guys in 17 and 18 are super values. Again Uccelliera 18 and San Filippo Lo Scorno 17 are incredible for upper $20s retail.

Based on the rdM I’ve had: 2016 is a better play than 2015.
I’ve been fairly quiet since 2010 (WHICH I FREAKING LOVE) by BrunelloBob standards, but I will be making a solid bet on the 2016s

On the basis of this thread, I’ve ordered a mixed case of 15 Brunellos and 16 Chianti/Tuscans. I have two 2012 Brunellos left in the cellar out of a case that I bought a few years back. The 2012s that I have drank have been outstanding, so really looking forward to trying another vintage.

Thnx Tim, was wondering about what the early take on these vintages was for the Chianti region.

cheers brodie

speaking generally here, but yes, those vintages can be compared to '16. Which is to say there will be many great successes in those vintages. I personally prefer '18 to '16, and '16 to '15. '19 was a surprise for many growers; they’re quite happy.

1 Like

This gets me excited for one of my favorite wines that I need to drink more of. I’m going to buy more 15s and will look forward to doing the same with the 16s.

I did recently buy some 2015 Casanova di Neri Tenuta Nuova. I had the 2010 this year and it was in my top 10 bottles of 2020 for sure.