2015 Cayuse wines contaminated - pulled

+1000. Really classy customer service. Kudos to them for pulling the tainted wines. I assume the cork producer and/or insurance will cover their loss.

Very classy move. After receiving the email in the first post above, I got a second email from Cayuse listing which wines I had purchased were being refunded, as well as the revised shipping schedule for the balance of the wines. For me, it was a 3-pack each of the 2015 Bionic Frog and 2015 En Chamblerlin Syrah. Bummed to miss out on the wines, but very much appreciate the integrity and frankness of the winery.

So the supplier knew they sent out tainted corks but didn’t admit to it until they were called out?

I didn’t read it that way- More that they quickly identified the root cause… however I would guess that they may be in some deep “negotiations” at this point.

Kudos to Cayuse for doing the right thing - this kind of integrity makes me want to support them even more.

Just as long as no-one comes in here & shamelessly plugs their agéd Cayuse beauties already for sale in the Commerce section: I’m cool.

Yet another reason to bottle with screw caps instead of cork!

Wouldn’t surprise me.

Anyone know what company they get their corks from?

I ask as if it impacted this producer I guarantee you it impacted other producers this same company has supplied other corks too.

Screw caps wear out my Coravin needles quickly. [basic-smile.gif]

This totally sucks. I hope the release party is still on as I have already rented a house for it. Did I mention it sucks?

I expect the release party will still be on- just a lot less wines to pass out. There are still 5 types of 3 packs, plus mags to hand out, and the tasting they do is always of a future release, not the current. Maybe there will be a few bottles of paraffin special cuvee to try out as well.

They did what any legit producer would do, not knowingly sell tainted wine. Should I get kudos because I didn’t rob a bank today?

You just did. Congratulations. Keep it up.

Wow, what a hit to the winery. Not surprised they are doing what they are doing and pulling the wines. Just too bad that something so unrelated to the wine in and of itself and just a part of the “packaging” destroys all of their hard work. Seems like they had pretty special vintage going as well. I’m just glad that they caught the issue before the bottles were shipped.

Next thought that goes through my mind - Cayuse cannot be the only buyer of those corks … so what other wines/wineries here in the US or even in Europe might be impacted by a faulty few batches of corks (seems like Cayuse got at least two faulty batches)…and, has the seller of the corks gone back to all of the other wineries that might be impacted and done testing, etc., etc.

Bobby Jones could well be the game’s ultimate icon. He is renowned for his remaining an amateur (a point of significance that means more from a modern perspective than it was in his day when being a professional golfer did not equate to what it means today) and for accomplishing the game’s ultimate feat, winning the “Impregnable Quadrilateral,” the Grand Slam, in 1930. This latter feat is looked upon by many as the event that carried Jones up onto the shoulders of public consciousness, but in reality, an incident from five years prior did as much to promote his near mythical legend as anything else he ever did in his legendary career.

By the time of the 1925 U.S. Open at the WorcesterCountry Club in Worcester, Massachusetts, Bobby Jones was already a superstar with multiple Major victories to his credit. His starring role in the National Championship was cast alongside of many of the game’s reigning power houses, including Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen, Johnny Farrell and Francis Ouimet.

Jones’ first round was progressing by conservative measure when he approached his drive in the left rough at the par 4, eleventh hole. Addressing his ball, Jones suddenly backed off. Turning to Walter Hagen,with whom Jones was paired, he declared that his ball had inadvertently movedat address and he intended to assess a penalty stroke as a result, inaccordance with the rules of golf. Rules officials weighted in, even surveying members of the gallery to ascertain if anyone had seen the ball moved. Ultimately, a determination outside Jones himself could not be made that any infraction had occurred. Rules officials and Hagen begged Jones to not assess the penalty. Jones would have none of it and he would finish his first round posting a score of 77, well off the pace.

After the morning 18 holes, the two golfers once again found themselves tied. In what was uncharted territory for the USGA, the committee quickly decided that they would play another 18 hole match that afternoon to determine the national champion.

After 35 playoff holes, the two golfers came to the eighteenth hole, still tied. MacFarlane’s second shot safely found the top tier of the two-tiered green, leaving him in a safe position to make a par. Knowing that he needed a birdie to win, Jones attempted to hit his approach shot from the right rough, near the front tucked pin. Unfortunately for Jones, his strategy was too aggressive and his shot came to rest in the front bunker. From here, he would hit a remarkable recovery shot to only five feet from the pin, and if he converted that par putt, he would once again be tied with MacFarlane.

But it wasn’t to be. To the astonishment of the gallery, Jones missed the crucial putt and the 1925 U.S. Open would belong to Willie MacFarlane by the margin of one stroke.

As a result, Jones’ self-assessed one-stroke penalty in the first round took on major significance and would catapult him to a position of national stature (something rather rare for golfers at that time).

As Jones possessed mental acuity to match his prowess with a golf club, his passion to adhere to the game’s principles (and his own integrity) were illustrated in his post-round comments to the press following the penalty in the first round when after being praised for his honesty, Jones brushed such acclaim aside, countering, “You might as well praise a man for not robbing a bank.”

http://fairwaysoflife.golf/2011/02/bobby-jones-calls-a-rules-infraction-on-himself/

+1

Anyone know the cork producer yet?

I just checked with my contacts in Walla Walla, and they don’t know of anyone else affected so far. don’t know what supplier they use.

Hope Reynvaan didn’t use them. I know they have been close in the past.

The obvious other wineries maybe using this cork producer are No Girls, Horsepower, La Rata and Hors Categorie.

Tom