2015 Schrader - 2nd round offer

[Edited because my original response was a little indignant] - I believe an explanation of the differences is in the mailed literature and the website? Each is either a different clone or a blend of clones - clones 337, 4 or 6. CCS is clone 4, T6 is clone 6, RBS is clone 337, Old Sparky is 4, 6 and 337, LPV is LPV (not To Kalon and a couple of clones), Colsworthy is LPV. If you drink California Cab enough you pick up differences in taste, mouthfeel and structure from the different clones. If you want to explore clones less expensively, BV has marketed Cabs in varying clones for years.

I buy Schrader and I like the subtle differences in the clones. The cost may have increased but so did almost every other winery who held their prices stable through the bad economy while all other costs skyrocketed. If you like To Kalon vineyard, you buy Schrader (which I felt was better than Maybach when I tried it). If you want another fruit forward, but perhaps a more subtle classic Cabernet, try Dr. Crane vineyard. Mike Smith’s Myriad is my favorite but Realm’s Dr. Crane is also superb. A different mouthfeel and structure than To Kalon but fabulous wine. If you want it more Bdx-like (I am not stupid - you can also buy Bdx blends or Meritage but I am still talking 100% California Cab wines), then GIII or most Rutherford Cabs have an earthier feel to them. And, while Dunn is not really my cup of tea, he’s been doing it longer than most any winemaker on Howell Mountain and probably does not care how long it takes for his wines to shine (often 7-10 years).

Bruce, thank your for the insight. What are your thoughts between CCS vs RBS? My assumption is those will be what is offered and wanted to see how those differ to you.

Carburetors too!

The season was pretty uneventful. Yields were miniscule, fruit concentration was high, wines are a bit more structured than '13 and '14 and in very short supply.

I honestly have not had one side-by-side from the same vintage. Hoping one day I merit a complete tasting of the line-up. I have had both independently. The last vintage I tasted open for RBS was '12 and for CCS was '13. So, to give a fair answer I am not sure if this is a fair comparison. I also had the '12 CCS at a tasting but took no notes. If I recall correctly, the CCS had a little less tannin and might have been composed of more dark fruit flavors than I recall for the RBS - but these would be subtle differences. I know we are offered fixed packs but if I was able to choose one over the other to buy it would be CCS as it is harder to find. They make much more RBS than CCS. Sorry I could not help you more.

My opinion of Schrader is it’s an absolute must-buy if you have the money, already enjoy TRB Cab and want to try what he does with über-premium/luxury vineyard fruit…because make no mistake, much like all of his other Cabs, Schrader has TRB’s signature all over it and it’s absolutely up there at the pinnacle (if not the) with Maybach, R-M, Outpost and a few others.

For the first time in 10 years, I decided to pass on Schrader in lieu of buying more from the R-M Cab offering. In regards to satiating any needs I have for TRB Cab, R-M has given me everything I’ve ever wanted and then some along with the added bonus of being far easier to open. Are they as good as Schrader? No, usually not. But they’re damn close, sometimes equal to and/or (subjectively) even better.

I’m sad about about giving up Schrader, I really do love the wines. But even more, I love having the economic flexibility to instead buy 2 bottles of Chevillon Vaucrains for every 1 of Schrader. Or 4 bottles of Prado Enea. Or 6 bottles of Gloria. Or 12 bottles of Bedrock OV Zin. For someone like me who’s in their late 30s, not wealthy and actively building up a cellar for mid-to-long term drinking, this seems to be the better direction than splurging on Schrader, which has always been a luxury brand but is now more so than ever.

I’ll miss you, Schrader. We had some nice memories. But again, to those who can afford it without worry and already greatly enjoy TRB’s Cabs, Schrader is an absolute must.

Got my mailer. Looks like they’re offering me the “Perfect Pair.” It’s two 2015 RBS in a wood case for $450. Seems a bit pricey.

Maybe a crack in the Schrader armor ? A friend of mine mentioned that in a recent K&L auction that the 2014 BTK RBS sold below the offer price .