2016 barbaresco buying intentions?

I’ll try them when I get a chance, but I’m not in any hurry. With the exception of the Produttori crus, these wines don’t tend to move that fast.

When do the Produttori crus typically hit the market?

The normale accounts for about two-thirds of their total production – 18,500 cases – so there’s usually enough to go around:

For reference, the 2014 SVDs came out earlier in 2019.

Based on what I tasted two nights ago and finished tonight (Coravin), I think the 2015 Pora and the Paje are not to be missed. I will get 6 of each.
I can’t imagine these will be anything in the $56 range though…

Mike, where did you taste the 15 Paje and Pora?

Jeff, I am assuming, and probably rightly so that the Pora and Paje (2 of my favorites usually) will be amazing. I did not taste them. Sorry for confusion.

Marinacci
Giuseppe Cortese
Rivella Serafino
Cascina delle Rose
Cascina Roccalini
Cascina Luisin

Produttori Barbaresco 2016 normale - I picked up 3 bt. I love it and will buy more. Recommended !

you ever tried ‘Marchesi di Barolo’ ?

Produttori Barbaresco 2016 has shown up on our shelves including several single vineyard designations. Bought half a mixed case.

I had visited Francesco a couple of times at Giacosa and stayed in touch. He invited me to visit him at Luigi Oddero in 2017. The wines were stunning. Francesco enthusiastically talked about his own small bottling. I would jump at the opportunity to tasty/buy some. Very talented winemaker and a great, enthusiastic person.

Can anyone please explain the difference between Giuseppe Cortese Rabaja and the Riserva? I have read online the Riserva has nearly 2x the barrel aging (40 months vs 22 months for the normale, and the Riserva is only made in the best years - it looks like 2016, 2013, and 2011 are the most recent vintages). Are the Riservas more oaky? Is the fruit quality a big step up (even in a 2016)? Is either bottle perceived to be better/worse QPR? I thought this thread on the Riserva was helpful/informative for comparing, what I assume is the Giuseppe style versus Produttori: https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/a-pair-from-rabaja/137728/1

Thanks

Let me speak further about the 2016 Produttori Barbaresco.
It’s hauntingly good. I can’t stop thinking of it and in my life, this has only happened maybe 3 times.
Crazy huh?
I bought a case more.

Sounds like the Gold Seal of endorsements!

Didn’t find this previously, but some more information here:

modest intentions. Not actively chasing anything, but might pick up the odd bottle in time, or if we head over to Italy next year.

I’m in the nice position that I’ve got a good amount of nebbiolo in the cellar already, so no huge urgency to top it up.

In general I’d not recommend them. We’ve had some good older bottles from when negociants ruled, and they were a big negociant. These days I find neither interest or value in their wines. Very tourism focused at the winery as well. I’d love to see a resurgence, as they still hold a good memory for the prior wines.

I’m looking to make an order for some 2016 barbaresco from the Langhe but will be buying blind as wont have chance to taste first.

Does anyone have any experience with wines from Nada Fiorenzo and Cascina Luisin? I’ll also throw Cantina Del Pino into the ring as well. There are hardly any notes on CT for 2016 and so any experience folks may have, overview of critical response, views of accessibility vs aging would be well appreciated!

In general I lean traditional with my Nebbiolo, and am buying to hold though I will probably pop a couple early to try out. Thanks!

None. We declared “Done” with the 2013 vintage and have stuck to it.