2016 Brunellos!

WTH is driving the prices on the 2016s?
I thought Italian wine was tariff exempt.

Most likely that a lot of press out there declaring it the vintage of a lifetime would be my speculation - a few prominent wine writers have been heaping praise on it for a while now.

I’d also suspect that tariffs + skyrocketing prices even before tariffs elsewhere are pushing folks to look for wines in places like Italy where they previously would have been content sticking to France.

“Vintage of the Century” hyperbole certainly accounts for pricing on the 2016s, as well as the absence of tariffs on all Italian wines. However, it should be noted that “vintage of the century” apparently occurs a few times each decade. 2010 and 2013 are also “vintages of the century” in Brunello, and I suspect, going further back in time, that 2001, 2004 and 2006 were similar, certainly for Tuscany in general if not Brunello in particular. And 2015, while not a “vintage of the century”, was called “picture perfect” by the Wine Advocate and a “fairy tale vintage” by Suckling (not that I put any faith in anything Suckling writes).

If you miss out on 2016, it’s okay. There will be another vintage of the century in a couple of years.

There are current smart buying opportunities on back vintages of Brunello. Livio Sassetti’s “Pertimali” had been a fabulous $35-45 wine for many years until someone gave Pertimali a score of 100 and now it’s an $80+ wine. (I just checked and it was Suckling. Not a surprise.) But the '08 Pertimali is available right now for $55 and it’s a damn fine wine also. The '06 Canalicchio di Sopra is available now for $75, less than the price of the '16, and '06 was great in Brunello and you can probably drink the '06 now.

1 Like

to be fair though, I think part of the hyperbole is because the consistency in quality is a bit of a recent phenomenon and was somewhat unexpected. I drank 2008 Caparzo Brunello over the weekend and thought it was very solid. Saw one at a store in NJ for $35 still. so the “good” vintages that are not “vintage of the century” are clearly where you get the qpr

A small part may be the weakening of the dollar over the last year

Those who overlook 2008 and 2014, for example, miss out on wines, which are arguably more classical in style from a historical perspective even if less glamorous in terms of broader appeal and potentially have less complexity, depth, and longevity. Brunello from the 21st century, in general, are not necessarily representative of historical style given the ripeness achieved this century. A Producer referenced on this thread once told me that in hindsight they wished they had bottled and commercialized a 2008 Riserva.

Arguably some successes if you like the style in 2008.
I wouldn’t take any chances vs 2014

1 Like

Have you tasted Baricci 2014?
Producer, arguably the most traditional Producer in all of Montalcino, and terroir, the only Producer in Montalcino with 100% of vineyards in Montosoli, transcend vintage generalizations.

No, I haven’t had the 2014 Baricci. I have had the 2013 and did not fall in love.

Quick and Dirty: There are 65 2008 Brunello scored 92 points or higher on CellarTracker. There are 24 2014s scored similarily.

The best comparison so far seems to be with 2010, which was a briliiant vintage. But I am not sure why you would want to miss out on a brilliant vintage in 2016–check Eric Guido’s notes, if you don’t believe the Wine Spectator.

While I’m more than certain tbere were a few good 14s, on the whole, it’ll be a big ole pass for buying. Too many delicious Brunellos from other vintages around it (2014) to not want to wade through a bunch just to find a few gems

There is no need to wade through a bunch when you follow terroir and producer more than vintage.

disagree to an extent. I think Canalicchio Franco Pacenti makes some gorgeous Brunello and their 14 isn’t all that great since we’re choosing specific estates to make a point. I drink and taste a good amount of Tuscan wine and I’m not going to spend all that much money on 14s when there is a cornucopia of wonderful Brunello available at retail and at auction

it is interesting how almost every post can turn controversial, no matter how benign it starts.

No it isn’t.

3 Likes

Agreeing to disagree, even if only to an “extent”, is one of the freedoms we can appreciate together. Maybe a vintage like 2014 helps separate the true integrity of terroir and execution by the Producer. 2014 is certainly not my favorite vintage, but I had realistic expectations for the handful of Producers I follow annually and have not been disappointed. 2004 Burgundy is not my favorite either; I simply did not write off the vintage entirely or the Producers I follow annually. I will take your advice and not pursue tasting Canalicchio Franco. Thank you for the tip. Your insight is greatly appreciated.

There are 8 possible scenarios:

1. Good vintage (weather) + good winemaking + good terroir = great wine
  2. Good vintage + good winemaking + poor terroir = who knows?
  3. Good vintage + poor winemaking + good terroir = who knows?
  4. Good vintage + poor winemaking + poor terroir = crap wine.
  5. Poor vintage + good winemaking + good terroir = who knows?
  6. Poor vintage + good winemaking + poor terroir = crap wine.
  7. Poor vintage + poor winemaking + good terroir = crap wine.
  8. Poor vintage + poor winemaking + poor terroir = crap wine.

Now the interesting conversations here are “To what extent can good winemaking or good terroir overcome poor vintage? To what extent can poor winemaking kill good vintage and good terroir? To what extent can poor terroir be overcome?” etc.

I would argue that 2014 was so bad a vintage that the odds are pretty long against making good wine. Possible? yes, if you have the winemaker and the terroir. That said, unless I get a chance to taste a particular wine in a bad vintage, I am not taking a chance regardless of reputation or terroir. The only reason to do so would be to bargain hunt, and I’ve been burned trying that. As Ken suggested, there are better, “safer” options available.

I Think we have a bit of a thread drift here.I though
It was abort witch 2016 brunello we were looking to purchase.
It’s the same old song every year,there will be another great vintage…yes there will be a lot of great vintages in the future, but why miss out 2016.there is a ton of good brunello to reasnable prices

2 Likes

The Dollar is the weakest it has been since 20172/2018. Unless an Importer pegged a lot of currency at a stronger conversion rate and/or purchased 2016 BdM inventory prior to Summer 2020(not uncommon to purchase Burgundy 9-12 months in advance, for example), Euro traded wine will see increases this year due to weak dollar.

BdM 2015, which was hyped by the Press, has not necessarily sold through as well as the hype would suggest due to the affects of the pandemic in the Marketplace and arguably due to the subsequent anticipation of 2016 vintage among other factors. Importers/Distributors/Retailers need to free up
dollars and space to buy and stock the current vintage. Sometimes strong, back to back vintages can seemingly undermine each other’s sales cycle. A pandemic and weak dollar, causing higher prices, do not help. A patient Consumer may ultimately have the chance to buy good wine at a discount.