2016 Ch. Calon-Ségur - what a beauty

[drinks.gif]

Good to know that my palate is also working with reds.

I opened a 375 last night (lamb chops on the grill, fresh corn risotto, the first real tomatoes of the season). I understand Martin’s excitement but can’t quite share his enthusiasm for drinking it now. The fruit is glorious, and I spent a lot of time with my nose in the glass, but the substantial oak needs some time to absorb. I have no doubt it will, and I am glad I have more of these to drink later, but I will not be in a hurry to open another.

Thanks, Neal - that’s a HUGE frustration of mine, when I get overwhelmed with oak, knowing how much more enjoyable it will be in years to come

I knew [dance-clap.gif]

I had the '16 Calon yesterday as well. It’s a beauty indeed - Martin’s note nails it - and I didn’t notice any oak (even the typical St.-Estephe pencils was more like pencil fillings than pencil shavings). While it’s premature to get on the 99 points/Best Calon ever! hype machine, I think the whole trilogy of wines they made in 2014-2015-2016 rocked each of their respective vintages and any Bordeaux fan will want to have them. Sad the price has been ratcheting up, but I’ve noticed Calon pricing is less constant than others and if you have patience and keep your eyes peeled you can get a good deal.

Picked up 4 more from TW for 87/bottle. Great wine, and drinking beautifully.

Sheesh, very well done and you must live in one of the TW coupon accepting states, lucky you!

I have to say I am quite surprised and puzzled that several US consumer mentioned oak. In the past it was rather WE the Europeans that complained about too much oak and alcohol regarding Bordeaux. And now regarding 2016 it seems to me that everything is on the right&perfect place.

Just picked up one of these last night at TW and will give it a go over.

They also had the 2016 Montrose, which I picked up, as well. Will try them both together and report back.

I brought one of these home from the offsite, as Martin’s glowing recommendation lured me into curiosity…but now I fear I may have acted too late on this wine, and it’s not worth risking opening?

FWIW Martin praised 2016 Comtesse even more and she is now in deep Sleeping Beauty mode

So I missed the window?

I have not tasted the 2016 Calon. It might still be open.