2016 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph Rouge - worth $80??

I buy my Halcon directly from the producer (my friend Paul Gordon), who offers half case and case discounts, so I don’t remember the exact pricing of the last Alturas. But right now you can get 2015 Halcon from several sources, including K&L, for $28. Frankly, that’s a screaming deal for the quality of the wine, not to mention the amount of work that goes into the vineyard (and it’s unique character).

I saw Gonon (don’t remember the vintage) in a shop in Aix-en-Provence a year ago for about 40 euros, which was about $42 at the time. I was remembering the $30 I’d paid for the '09 and figured it wasn’t cheap enough to be worth lugging home. Ha!

You guys are funny… A wine gets hyped, price shoots up and then you complain it is too expensive… Last few years, Gonon has been given star status including here on WB…just a matter of time before prices shoot up like mad…

Do itttttttttt

I was only allocated 3 bottles so you’re gonna have to take one for the team

Benetiere is less than $80. Faury VV is much less. Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitage is less than $30. I love Gonon, but I think I’ll scratch my Northern Rhône itch elsewhere.

And 1.5 years ago the 2009 was like 90 euros at David Toutain in Paris. Got to go try some Benetiere I think.

Yes it is (at the wholesale level) and there has been a run on all the older vintages Neal had in the warehouse. Still one of the more bizarre wine things I’ve seen. These are really idiosyncratic wines. It reminds me of when Pradeaux got huge scores from Parker way back and everyone had to have them and then called to yell at me when they opened them. Levet is not that odd, but it’s not exactly Jamet.

I think we can say K&L’s price wasn’t very good.

When this post went up there was 35 for sale. Now 34.

Got an offer on this from another non official source, same price as K&L

This was Envoyer’s price.

please refer to the 15 allemand thread for poor pricing by envoyer on hyped n. rhones

I never thought they would have sold through the ‘15 at $110, but they did and then reloaded.

Guess they will just wait it out.

Now down to 21, I know it’s overpriced but this will probably sell out. :frowning:

David

Did you do it?

probably talking to me, I haven’t yet. Will do it soon.

Now all gone in less than 3 weeks.

The question was asked before, but the Northern California importer for Gonon is Jolivin. Kermit Lynch imports it for the rest of the West Coast.

I’m cracking up thinking about this thread as I read the latest “Wines you might have missed” email from Winebid, where Gonon St. Joseph is 20 bucks a bottle more than Chevillon Les St. Georges :slight_smile:.

Of course, there was that single bottle of 2006 Gonon Vieilles Vignes that recently went for $460 on K&L auctions. Maybe the regular bottling for $80 is not that bad by comparison?

Bump. What prices are people seeing? Socal is Kermit - wholesale went up $5.

Seen a couple socal retailers/brokers selling at $79 which was the same as K&L’s pre-arrival price. Winex.com has it in stock right now for $79. Some stores have it for over $100/btl.

The store I purchased from went up about $7/btl from last years very favorable pricing. Nice of them not to bump it up much past the wholesale bump for their loyal customers.