2016 Screaming Eagle offer

Years ago I did a vertical at EMP. Even got Charles Banks to contribute a bottle. At that time he was part owner

I thought you get booted if you sell it ?? Guess they haven’t found out ?

[/quote]
I have the opposite buddy. He’s been on the list since the '92 vintage, and has sold every bottle he’s received. Except for a lone bottle of the '92, which he and I drank circa 2002. As others have said, it had a distinctive feminine quality given its relative power.

[/quote]

funny in that he sold all of them except for what is perhaps the most valuable bottle there is!

Bruce, no apparently they are none the wiser.

Mark, yeah that is indeed ironic. Although at the time he got rid of his '92s through I think '98s in one fell swoop the additional premium for the '92 hadn’t showed itself yet.

Another bizarre postscript - the sale of the 5 or 6 vintages at once funded a $30,000 car stereo. $1,000+ bottles of wine and $30,000 car stereos. It’s a wacky world we’re living in.

SE is not releasing their 2017. Here is the clip from Vinous Jun 15, 2018.

“For some winemakers, the vintage was immediately compromised. “I got to the vineyard early on Monday morning [the first morning of the fires] and started tasting through the fruit. I knew right away it was gone,” Screaming Eagle’s Nic Gislason told me. At Screaming Eagle, only the Merlot-based The Flight will be bottled, while there will be no commercial release of the flagship wine.”

If any winery has the resources to survive a lost vintage, it’s Screaming Eagle. They skipped 2000.

I’ve been buying SE since the 1994, and have drunk a fair number, some of them blind. It’s the only unjustifiable splurge I haven’t dropped. I try to rationalize it as an entry into high-end tastings and for special occasions where the label caché will have impact. Oh well, passion over reason.

They are outstanding, but not 3-5 times better, or even twice as good, as other top Napa cabernets in the $200-300 range. I remember a blind tasting about 20 years ago of all the 1994 then-cults and close to cults. SE came in 2nd or 3rd, behind Shafer Hillside which was first on the majority of cards.

What does “feminine” taste like? Not being snarky, totally serious.

I was at a Blind Tasting in Bordeaux (Grand Jury Europeen) when the top 1995 Bordeaux were tasted blind versus the top Napa 1995. I gave the Screaming Eagle 90 points while Shafer Hillside, Araujo, Harlan, Latour and La Mission Haut Brion were all 95+ for me. I think the tasting was in 2005. The SE was a fine wine and indeed elegant and feminine but lacked excitement compared to other Napa Cabs and Bordeaux. I still remember being very impressed by the Shafer and the Araujo which were powerful but fresh and complex at the same time.

commonly used to describe screamer vs other more brawny cults like harlan etc

The only resource they need is insurance which i imagine they have which likely covers smoke damage if they go through a series of steps to proove it.

Does anyone know if I can land a helicopter at Screagle?

That depends. Do you have a yacht?

Girls.

As opposed to “masculine”, which is more like boys.

The witch in Hansel and Gretel knew the difference.

Hadn’t thought of insurance for smoke taint. I just figured at their prices they would be better positioned to weather a lost vintage. Though their volume is still fairly low. I wonder if carriers that have specific coverage for smoke taint have figured out how to underwrite/set premiums. Has it been a “thing” for long enough?

Smoke taint could be covered under crop insurance, which has been underwritten for a long time so I don’t think it would be much of a challenge to insurers.

craig and greg won the thread.

[cheers.gif]

Correct. As Rob said, my guess is they have a pretty good policy and they won’t see any negative impact on the profits. And the list member aren’t dropping so as weird as it sounds, this might actually be good for the brand as it will become even more desirable on the secondary knowing a Vintage was skipped.

Eric - I think you are 100% correct. Am sure it is also somewhat vintage related but retailers are being way more aggressive trying to procure.

Yea. Its a very popular wine. We have many customers that would buy as much as they can get hold of. If anyone is considering selling this 2016 vintge please do get in contact I’m confident I’ll be able to out bid any other offers you are being given.

Kindest regards
Alex