2017 Burgundy Is A Gift

I agree with Michael. 2017 is fascinating in that when I had barrel samples while in Burgundy in 2018 I did not think the vintage was all that great. Just not that much to it. But, when I retasted some of the same wines (and a lot of different wines) in March 2020 at the Paulee in NYC, I was amazed at how much better the wines tasted. I really like 2000s and 2007s (wines similarly improved in these vintages about a year after release), I think ultimately 2017 will be better and could be another 2001 (yet another vintage that started getting a lot better about a year after release).

Right now the bigger 17 wines need air time. I’ve had the entire DRC and Rousseau lineup lately and they’ve all been superb but really blossomed after 2 hours open. The LT and RSV were muted initially then awesome.

Agree, young village 2017 are gorgeous! I don’t think I have popped anything PC or GC…

I’ve had 17 and 18 Esmonin LSJ in the last 2 weeks; both are drinking fantastically.

Just piling on here. I drank probably 20 - 30 bottles of 2017 red burgundy in 2020, maybe more. The hit rate was remarkable. What a nice vintage! Loved so much of what I tasted and luckily have lots of it in the cellar. Just checked and nearly 4% of my entire cellar is red burgundy from 2017. Quite a lot for a single color, region, and vintage.

[thankyou.gif] [pillow-fight.gif]

Thanks for info - how about a match-tasting of Ech by DRC vs D’Eugenie ?

1 Like

Grivot’s 2017 nuits ronciere was drinking beautifully last night. It’s my first 2017 Grivot, but planning to buy more based on that bottle.

Alex…I agree. 2017 Chevalier CdN village was drinking beautify 2 nights ago. Way more expressing that the same wine from 2016.