2017 West Coast Vintage Weather Thread

Thank you Karen. I remember how Napa downtown had flooded in the past but it looks like the flood bypass project is successful in decreasing the area that can be flooded. I’m keenly aware of floods as I’m living in an AE zone and the insurance is through the roof now.

The Willamette Valley didn’t see nearly as much snow as PDX. We got 3 inches at our house, and that seemed pretty typical. Of course nothing is melting as the temperatures barely get above freezing during the day. By Tuesday we’re supposed to be back into 50 degrees and a lot of rain - something like 5" in three days. Given all the snow on the ground and all the rain coming, we’re going to have serious flooding issues. None of this should affect the vineyards, as they are up in the hills, but it could cause problems for the landfill just upstream from McMinnville, which is pretty much universally despised.

Rick, I finally made it to work today (NW Newberg) and was surprised at how little snow the area got.

Also, over the last few storms 240 seems miraculously clear, does Yamhill County treat the roads more aggressive than Washington?

Sun! Blue skies! Warm 57 degrees. The cover crop is going to go wild after all that rain and now a few days of this…

Bud swell and bleeding pruning wounds in viognier already. Godamnit! Never crossed my mind that it might be too late to collect budwood for spring grafting on Jan 15. Crazy. So much for the salubrious effects of the recent cold.

Wha!!!
[truce.gif]

I read today that Nate Weiss has been named Director of Winemaking at Silver Oak, following Mr. Baron’s retirement at the end of 2016. Nate, I thought you already had that post. But if this is indeed new news, congratulations!

And it is raining again. After some lovely days, we are back in the rain pattern. Although the puddles and build-ups had dried out, it has taken no time at all for them to come back. The ground is just saturated to that point. Temperature is around 45: just gloomy and nasty.

In my travels yesterday I saw some pruning - some first cut and some true pruning. Got to get it done.

Yep full on pruning in the RR earlier this week with wound painting. We were flooded again today, man it was coming down.

Back to reality. Lynne and I are back after a two week stay in Zihjauatenjo MX. This was the first time I enabled text on my phone. Although I was able to relax, it was good to check in with my guys as the storms came through. They were also nice enough not to bother me with day to day details. One last image I’m going to try to keep for a couple more moments.
IMG_20170109_174129791_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170120_201931013.jpg

Thanks, Merrill! It is indeed a promotion. I started with the company 3 years ago but was focused on Silver Oak. Now I lead a team that is responsible for Silver Oak and Twomey wines as well as our estate vineyard management and grower relations. It wasn’t unexpected but is new nonetheless. Luckily, it’s an excellent group so my main job is staying out of their way!

So Nate, you have to work with grape growers too? You poor guy.

I know right?

Actually it’s a pretty fun part of the job. For instance, in your neck of the woods working with Norman K and Paul A. Paul is always threatening to take us out fishing but so far has never followed through.

Back on the property after 3 weeks in Truckee enjoying the powder. Pond is full, everything is soggy and wet. Pre-pruining the PN got done on the few days of no rain we had. Were above our annual average for rain already and had nearly 2’ off rain in January. Looks like another good cycle starting up next Wednesday. The best part of coming home was to see the new to us forklift that got delivered while we were gone. I have been putting it off for a while and we finally pulled the trigger.
IMG_5515.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG
IMG_5518.JPG

The sight of full irrigation ponds warms my heart. I’m full and the subsurface drainage is still feeding the pond at a pretty good pace. I could call it a year on the rainfall and be fine at this point.

Beautiful, Joe. What are your temps like? Looks like a nice spot for a picnic… [cheers.gif]

Thanks Edward, yesterday’s high was 49 low 33. We do picnic from time to time, or just a sunset glass of wine more often. Lots of room for the kid and dog to burn off some energy before dinner/bedtime. Lots of wildlife to watch as well.

We had 12 people pruning yesterday. I guess my “Two dollar Saturday” idea is working. We pay $2 over their hourly wage if they work Saturdays. Even had a couple of former employees who now work for other folks come work for us on their day off.

We’re not feeling super behind on our pruning, but I’m not very comfortable either. There’s also a couple of days of rain coming this week. Just wanting to show some appreciation for working on a Saturday.

Winter continues. I pruned for a couple of hours in my favorite 667 pinot block. Buds still holding tight…thank goodness. Still many more acres to go. Then I look at the calendar and realize its still not even February yet! Just gun shy after the past two crazy early years.

We have had cold nights with plenty of frost, but yesterday afternoon it hit 70 out in the vineyard…just beautiful. Cover crop is dense and getting high. Won’t prune for awhile.