2018 Atalier by Raul Perez, Rias Baixas

Whoa…I’m hoping you got bad intel as we drink a lot of Atalier during the summer. We’ve been enjoying the whites from Forjas del Salnes as well but more expensive and harder to source.
If you drink Rose and want to try something a bit different, definitely try Raul’s Arrotos del Pendon Rosado…made from the Prieto Picudo grape and not your average rose. We’ve really enjoyed it

1 Like

Nope. I admit to being less than interested in the on paper details of how my albarino is made. :wink:

1 Like

I think Atalier is a touch above, but Zarate’s entry level albarino scratches the same itch for me.

Good news….Skurnik cinfirmed they were drinking 21 Atalier with Raul just this week and it will be stateside by the fall!

2 Likes

That’s good news for sure! Delighted to learn my source was mistaken.

1 Like

But a very good salesperson [wow.gif]

1 Like

2020 Zarata Albarino Rias Baixas, Galicia Sp.
The estates range begins with the fresh, balanced and very mineral Zarate Albariño, sourced from estate vineyards averaging over 35 years of age in the parishes of Sisán and Padrenda in Val do Salnes’ central core. With wild-yeast fermentations and aging on the lees, this wine offers a character and vibrancy almost unique to the region.
Good natural cork, $21 Cda. Aromas show lemon, apricot, pear and typical minerality. Yellow green color.
Balanced acidity, very crisp, “expected higher acidity” from across the table. Grapefruit and peach on initial entry, medium bodied. Good length, think I should leave my other bottle a while to see what developes. Terrific wine, Dale has tasted the Balado and Tras da Vina…no chance of finding these up here. :frowning:

Raul kills it. The man’s brain should be studied lol!

The only wine he makes that was a little underwhelming and it’s not to say it was due to his wine making ability is his Riesling. It tastes like extended barrel aged Albarino. Very little acid. It could have been an off bottle, but seeing as I only tried one that’s my impression. I think I have a couple more…

Bob, I’m also a fan of this wine. I had the 2020 as an introduction and was blown away by how much I liked it. (I also quickly sat up straight in my chair and paid attention!). A recent 2021 opened slightly sharp and straight limey, but the fruit and balanced range of flavor soon showed up. Delish and even attention worthy if one is in the mood.

the 2016 La Vitoriana is excellent!

El Rapolao definitely has more weight and is a little funky. Cote rotie lovers enjoy this wine. Me being one of them!

I had the 2019 La Vitoriana and it’s a beautiful wine, great QPR.

• 2019 La Vizcaina Bierzo La Vitoriana - Spain, Castilla y León, Bierzo (5/9/2022)
    Wonderful. This could easily be confused for Syrah, though it has some pinot noir qualities as well. A touch more ripe than Perez’s 2018 Valtuille ‘Cepas Centenarias’ bottling (and lacking that wine’s overt minerality), dark red and blue fruits with a generous mid palate and fine grained tannins giving a gentle tug on the finish. Smooth texture and quite elegant overall. I think this will be better in 2-3 years when its fruit forward nature calms down a bit, but drinking well now. Good QPR at < $40. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

attending a tasting hosted by Raul next week in Seattle. below are the wines they have listed with retail price for the event, though I expect there to be more. anything to look out for, any good QPR here? thanks!

2020 Ultreia Godello – $28.95 net
2020 Vizcaina de Vinos Bierzo Blanco ‘La del Vivo’ – $41.95 net
2022 Atalier Albarino ‘Cruz das Animas’ – $34.95 net
2020 Atalier Albarino ‘La Encrucijada’ – $74.95 net
2020 Castro Candaz Mencia Tinto Ribeira Sacra – $26.95 net
2019 Castro Candaz Finca Tinto ‘El Curvado’ – $36.95 net
2020 Ultreia Saint Jacques – $23.95 net
2021 Vizcaina de Vinos Bierzo Tinto ‘El Rapolao’ – $42.95 net
2021 Vizcaina de Vinos Bierzo Tinto ‘La Vitoriana’ – $42.95 net

Don’t miss the del Vivo