2018 Roy Piper offer out!

2/3rds the way there. Just need to get on that MacDonald list now. In for a three pack on '18 Piper.

Are there any other wines out that these compare to? Anything similar?

I’ll offer what little help I can, from way back in 2018 when I visited with Roy. And yes, love spending time with him!

"A pleasure to see Roy again after 3 years. Here’s another guy who it was fun to discuss the “what changes in 6 years” question, because Roy at present is only making one wine. That is something that he does hope to change, with 2 more Oakville vineyard sources coming online for him, and a hope to get to 500 cases, but he also wants to stay focused and “compact”, if you will, and will continue to look at mailing list as his main base for sales. He cites PV as a single he wants to make but recognizes he’d almost need a brand new customer base for it. He is starting to think about leaving his wines a little less time in oak. Roy is another who cites educating and taking care of his clientele as things that are important to him. He also notes $100 + Cabs are beginning to be a commodity and he feels there may be a reckoning.

There was only the one wine to taste, but fascinating it certainly was. My compensation for that was that I might be the first person to have tried the new vintage in bottle, a mere 3 weeks old.

2016 Roy Piper Cabernet

14.6%, 97% CS with 3% Petit Verdot. I believe Moulds, Farrella and Houyi vineyards are the sources. Roy does a 15% bleed-off, then 20 months in 70% new oak, Bousset barrels. Aromatically, this sure wakes you up. Big spices presentation with nutmeg, allspice and clove, to buttress underlying plum fruit. Shockingly, this is already really good. The flavour is iron framing very beautiful blue and black fruit. Gains an attractive bitter twinge and depth with air.

We try a second pour from a different-shaped (Zalto more of a pinot-shaped) glass, where Roy shakes the wine a little. Gives much more beef blood in the nose and it’s remarkably more feral and aggressive on the palate vs. the finesse and sophistication in the normal Cab glass. Fascinating!"

Roy’s latest video on verasion is really enjoyable and educational at the same time. Loved it

I am new to the waitlist and after watching Roy’s video yesterday, I texted him to inquire about an offer for the 2018. He immediately called me back and we had a great conversation (what customer service). There was approximately 120 bottles left of the 2018 when we spoke and he wanted anyone with genuine interest on the waitlist to have 1st crack at them before going through the remainder of the waitlist. He also offered me, which I purchased, the 2014 and 2016 so I can get a feel for his style while waiting on the 2018 to be ready.

I am new to his wines but have followed his great posts on Wineberserkers for quiet a while and love his open and honest insight on many board topics. I’m really looking forward to having an opportunity to now try his wines. Thanks Berserkers for tuning me in to his wines!

Mike, thanks for digging up and posting your prior review of the 2016!

I believe '18 is half Moulds and half Houyi. No Farella in the '18 at least.

IIRC Farella is one of the vineyards that very unfortunately got torched in the 2017 fires. Roy?

(I’m pretty sure I remember talking with Jeff Ames about it and how he didn’t make any Rudius wine from the vineyard that year).

Yeah, the fires burned into his property that year. By 2018 Realm had started leasing the whole thing, so for me it was one and out. I’ve always liked what Realm did with that vineyard.

I didn’t see a tasting note of this wine. This was a coravin pour that I followed over 3-4hrs. I don’t recall the vineyard blend on this one but it ROCKED. I’m more of a francophile in wine but sometimes have an itch for Napa. I’ve been a big fan of Roy’s wines for a while but this was at a new level.

• 2018 Roy Piper Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/15/2024)
    Maybe my favorite Piper to date? This is very tannic with a firm backbone that really defines the wine--but is well balanced with plenty of rich dark fruit notes that wrap the tannins. While tannic there's a polished or "rounded" texture that keep it from detracting. Has some graphite on the nose that gives it lift and depth. Very long finish and lovely elegant fruit and a little verve of herbal complexity. How does the descriptor "elegant" end up in a description of a wine of this scale?? I have no idea, but it's apt. F***! Roy nailed this one. (96 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes