2019 a shipping odyssey

Every year brings a different challenge!!! Very frustrating.

This is one of the first holiday seasons in a long time we haven’t experienced a bunch of delays or any problems with UPS, they have been on it.

Just a WAG but I wonder how many people/companies have been taken by surprise because there is one less week this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Mike, mine shows the same since last weekend. I tried the FedEx “chat” on Tuesday and was told it was at the destination warehouse and would be delivered the next day. It was not and still showing NE. I spoke to Molly at Winebid the next day and she doesn’t have any other information, but suggested I redirect it to a local FedEx location in case it is delayed until next week when our office is closed. This is the first time in over 20 years of wine buying that I have run into this kind of delay. Good luck.

I had a case of wine from Jaffurs shipped Fedex hung up in Chicago as well. After no progress, Jaffurs told me to refuse delivery and they would immediately ship a new case.
Sure enough, five days after it was supposed to be delivered, Fedex showed up and my receptionist refused delivery as instructed.
Nancy at Jaffurs wrote me that this year’s shipments with Fedex have been horrific-worse than ever experienced in the past.
I still don’t have my replacement shipment and this time I never received a tracking number. Funny thing-there was a note in my file that I had requested UPS and not Fedex.
Also, I had ordered this wine well back in early November and the big mistake imo was waiting until after Thanksgiving to ship.
Oh well. Not expensive wine and I have plenty already, so I am not worried about it.

Well here I was happy about the priority overnight shipping…one package (six bottles) arrived as expected, while the other (2 mags) are still in Memphis. :frowning:

Well, my case still hasn’t arrived. Normal ground shipping from Chicago to St. Louis is overnight, FedEx or UPS. This box was in Chicago (despite coming from California via AZ, NM, TX, and KS) at least by 8 am Tuesday. Here we are at 7 pm on Thursday and still not here. We have Chicago (area) 8 am Tuesday, Chicago (area) 10 pm Tuesday, Chicago 2 pm Wed (all different places in Chicagoland), then (finally - escape from Chicago!) Champaign 7 pm Wed. The funny thing there is it shows “arrived at” Champaign 7:20 pm Wed, then “departed” Champaign 7:55 pm Wed, then “departed” (again) Champaign 3 am Thursday. No update in the 16 hours since then, other than no package and the “expected delivery date” which was once Wed, then today, is now “Pending.”

At least the weather’s better so if it hasn’t already frozen, it’s not going to freeze between now and delivery, assuming I get it before Christmas.

I’ve had delays before (on wine and non-wine), but never anything like this, and never via these bizarre routes.

In the meantime, a computer part from Dell and my aged balsamico from Garagiste, both sent FedEx ground, both shipped AFTER the wine in question, both arrived today, right on time. [scratch.gif]

And the stars have aligned, because my Harringtons arrived today! At least on the top row, the bottles appear none the worse for wear…

I hope they enjoyed their extended tour of the beautiful, and well out of the way, Chicago suburbs.

Hi all, we are equally frustrated with FedEx, we apologized for the delays, and Debbie and Molly are working the phones to try and track down every delayed package to get them on the move. I personally called FedEx to get some answers and am awaiting a call back. As many of you know or may have heard, FedEx has dropped the ball across the board and across the country, not just for wine but for all holiday packages. Businesses and consumers across the country are complaining about lack of response and information. https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/fedex-customers-complain-of-long-delivery-delays We are definitely looking at alternative options for next year for our customers. So sorry for your inconvenience and we are following up on your behalf daily.

Thanks Russ.
I appreciate you doing the work on this. Frustrating for sure.

I prefer no wine shipments between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Way too many variables and possibilities for problems.

Yeah, I made such a rookie mistake: I should have waited. When I requested the delivery the temps were good, something like 40-50s but who know the wine would sit in a trailer in Nebraska (or NY as one FEDEX story says) for nearly 1 week extra. temps dipped way down in that extended time.
I got the bottle yesterday at 3:30. Very cold to touch. Somewhere in the 20-30s

I will never do that again.

My WineBid shipment arrived three days early. Wasn’t expecting it until the 27th. For some reason FedEx bumped it to today. Maybe due to being a FedEx store delivery?

Now, has me complementing popping a 2001 Forman Cabernet with prime rib tonight.

I always hold off on wine shipments until the New Year. Way too risky otherwise. They can be particularly rough with packages, given the volume.

I live in a part of the country, New Mexico where wine can be exposed to high and low temperatures all on the same day so I am super cautious when ordering. I change almost every shipment date from wine clubs I am in to avoid these temperature extremes.

Hi all, hope everyone now has their shipments from WineBid (and everywhere else as well), and that everything arrived safely. It is my understanding that FedEx is reasonably caught up and the temps are pretty good around most of the country, so a great time to schedule shipments to yourself. We are open on Monday for shipping and again on Thursday/Friday of next week. As a reminder, the shipping rates that we are able to provide to help you ship to yourself will unfortunately be going up and adjusted in the middle of January. To take advantage of this, please make sure to email or call our customer service to get things ready to be shipped in the next two weeks, at your direction.

I would have thought that I would have my shipment from Winebid by now which left Napa on December 9th. No one seems to know where it is.

I would think so, Diane

Not wine, but had a package take 7 days via UPS from Iowa to Colorado.