2019 purchases vs. overall cellar

I bought a lot of 2014-2016 Bordeaux the past year.

Purchases
50% Bordeaux
15% Piedmont
15% Tuscany
10% California reds
5% Oregon PN
5% Burgundy (mostly red)

Cellar
22% Bordeaux
14% Burgundy
3% Rhone
9% Tuscany
17% Piedmont
9% Germany
14% California reds
12% Oregon PN

Iā€™m in your camp. I have a lot of wine but very little idea of what the specific type breakdown is, or where anything is. That makes pulling things for themed events a challenge, but otherwise is fine.

About my only assessments would be that after two years of buying less than I depleted, I bought a little more than I depleted in 2019. Also, I both bought and consumed a higher percentage of sparkling wine in 2019 than previous years despite always buying a decent amount of bubbles for a decade.

Cellar/purchase/consumption
21 17 21 German white
19 29 15 Burg red
15 7 18 CA red
12 11 7 Rhone red
10 9 4 Piemont red
8 12 16 Burg white
3.5 6 2.5% BDX red
3 4 1 Champagne

Letā€™s seeā€¦I buy and drink a lot of riesling. I backfilled 2010, 2014, and 2016 red burgundy and red bordeaux. I bought 2017 white burgs after mostly skipping 2015-2016 (i think I havenā€™t logged a case or two as well). I have trouble finding the opportunity to drink northern rhone and piedmont at home as it doesnā€™t pair well with what we eat. I never drink champagne. I donā€™t buy much California any more but am drinking (and for the most part, enjoying) a lot of the WB-darling producers I bought 5ish years ago (Anthill, bedrock, rhys, etc).

Thatā€™s the only way to store a proper collection.

No telling what you might [or might not] discover on any given occasion.

2019 Ending% Purchase%
Burgundy 35.2% 55.3%
Bordeaux 20.5% 2.1%

thatā€™s basically the whole storyā€¦ :wink:

Corrected my percentages. Itā€™s that new math.

haha I saw it. tell people that I own polos and jerseys for both teams (grew up in SC but went to HS and college in OH), but OSU has far more of my money than Clemson. but Iā€™m typically happy either way when those two play. big Dabo and Trevor fan.

EDIT: also that run was crazy. you forget how fast heā€™s moving until you remember each stride he takes is like 5 yards long.

My jaw dropped when I saw that play - he was outrunning linebackers & cornerbacks & safeties.

I keep having this nagging feeling that someday weā€™re gonna learn the kid was raised on Human Growth Hormone & Anabolic Steroids.

Because if heā€™s 100% pure natural, then heā€™s out there in Michael Phelps & Usain Bolt territory.

In fact, if Lawrence had been raised as a swimmer [rather than as a quarterback], then he might be breaking some of Michael Phelpsā€™s records now.

Lots of NFL teams will be tanking next year to get the first pick in the draft.

Interesting exercise!
Not sure what the breakdown is of cellar, there was a thread on that a year-or two-or three ago that you can check and cross-reference if you are into that. But for 2019, here we go (in order of significance):

Piedmont 14% (Red 10%/White 4% (consisting of timaraso)
Italy other 13% (Red 11%/White 2%)
Burgundy 11% (Red 9%/White 2%)
West Coast 11% (all red, consisting almost entirely of 2 wineries)
Rhone 9% (evenly tied between red/white, and almost all northern)
Spain 9% (Red 2%/White 7%)
Portugal 6% (Red 2%/White 4%)
Finger Lakes 6% (mostly from tastings at wineries this past summer)
Loire 4% (mostly whites)
Jura 3% (all white)
Southern France 3%
Tied at 2%: Germany-Austria, South Africa, Greece, Bordeaux

Itā€™s always nice to take stock at the end of the year and focus on next year. No real surprises this year. I expected that Piedmont and Champagne were on the rise and Burgundy on the decline. I expect that to continue for a bit. I donā€™t cellar a lot of Tuscan wines, but have been dipping back in. We drink a fair amount at home, but those generally go into the short term section. Iā€™ve dived back into Loire whites (chenin predominantly) with whites outpacing reds 2:1. I bought a lot more Alto Piedmont this year continuing a trend over the last few years. It was 39% of my Piedmont purchases. Iā€™m starting to get local access to some superb grower Champagne that hasnā€™t been available and those producers make up 90% of the champagne I bought last year.

Cellar
Burgundy 40%
Piedmont 18%
Loire Valley 15%
RhƓne 12%
Champagne 5%
CA 4%
Bordeaux 2%
Tuscany 1%
Other 3%

2019 Purchases
Piedmont 23%
Champagne 21%
Burgundy 19%
Loire Valley 9%
RhƓne 9%
Bordeaux 5%
Mosel Saar Ruwer 4%
Tuscany 4%
CA 3%
Other 3%

2019 Consumption
Burgundy 25%
Piedmont 16%
Loire Valley 14%
Champagne 13%
California 9%
RhƓne 8%
Mosel Saar Ruwer 5%
Tuscany 3%
Other 7%

Focusing on next year, not sure what I want to buy. Some thoughts:

Champagne is now at about the level I want it to be, but I know I want 2008 Taittinger Comte de Champagne. And, my surprise Champagne of the year was the Delamotte 2008. I recently bought a bit of 2012 and it would not shock me if I buy more Delamotte during the next year.

I have not tasted any 2018s or 2019s from Burgundy or Germany yet, but from what I read I am not sure they are my styles of vintages. May want a bit more 2016 and 2017 wines from Burgundy (esp. after I taste 2017s at the Paulee Grand Tasting in March) and 2015 and 2017 German wines - opportunistically.

Donā€™t see much California wines in my future. My favorite wines - Ridge Monte Bello and Chateau Montelena - just take too long to mature to buy new ones at my age.

Could buy a bit of Bordeaux. But, again, most take too long to mature to buy new ones at my age.

Not sure about Italian wines. I had a wine from Emilio Pepe when in Rome this fall and really like it, so I could see buying more if the right offer comes across my email.

I tasted some reds and whites from the Loire from ChĆ¢teau de Fosse-Seche a couple of years back and liked them a lot. Want to try them this year to see how they do with a bit of age and see whether I want to buy more (but donā€™t really know vintages in the Loire).

It takes a special kind of person to go hog wild for Italian wines, but then I would say that as every other bottle or 2 tends to be from there. [cheers.gif]

I have some Italian wines, but most of the ones I like take a lot of aging (esp. Piedmont) and I am trying to buy fewer wines that need lots of aging.

2019	Overall
Champagne			37.1%	18.7%
Burgundy			30.1%  	41.0%
N. Rhone			11.6%	9.3%
Loire				7.7%	7.5%
Piedmont			6.4%   	17.6%

2019 purchases were quite similar to cellar composition.

Cellar vs 2019 Purchases

Oregon (mainly Pinot) 20.2% / 20.3%
Bordeaux (all red, mostly left bank) 14.9% / 11.9%
Burgundy (mainly red) 14.4% / 13.6%
Rhone (mostly red, mix of North and South) 13.8% / 17.8%
California (mostly Cab or Bordeaux blend) 11.6% / 9.3%
Tuscany 8.7% / 10.2%
Germany 4.9% / 2.5%
Piedmont 4.0% / 0.8%
Other 7.5% / 13.6%

It is interesting. A few common themes come up. Many people seem to have bought a lot of Champagne (relative to cellar holdings) this year. Could be either that people (like me) are becoming more interested in Champagne or that they drink the Champagne they buy and so it does not spend as much time in the cellar as say a bottle of classified Bordeaux.

Seems like Burgundy purchases are down. Prices?

German wine purchases also seem down. Could this be because cellars are full after big purchases of 2015s?

You need to revisit some of the CC/CCRā€™s that are out there. 15 and 16 were great vintages. Many drink well at 4-5 years and are often my preferred wine with things coming off the grill.

Yes for me.