2019 Ridge Corralitos Pinot

My bad just repeating what our tasting host stated after our friend grilled him about it. They tried to say no kids at the facility due to the “law” but that was not true either so they let us in with a 7 year old who was more well behaved than half the folks there.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be surprising if a large portion of the '18 went to Japan. The rumor was all of it would. Maybe they kept some back to see how it would go over, or maybe there was less demand in Japan than they thought. As to the third vintage thing, it would be surprising since some of us get a good deal of insider info and the '18 was big news we heard well ahead. Maybe if the '17 was a small experimental batch like they done with >cough cough cough< It also could’ve been confusion with three vintages total having been made. That would be news - that the wine isn’t an ongoing thing. Someone could ask.

This thread made me want to open a bottle from the ATP shipment.

Nose is nice but not particularly big or complex, fruit is rich without feeling overripe on the palate, oak is present and not integrated yet, a touch of astringency - I think from the oak - on the finish. Not much acid.

It’s a nice effort at its price point but doesn’t jump out as something I’d recommend or search out. I think it will improve as the tannins integrate, but I don’t think it’s going to gain complexity. For what it’s worth, my dad and wife enjoyed it.

1 Like

Just got the email for 2020 Ridge Corralitos Pinot Noir

Wondering if it’s worth it?

2020 Corralitos Pinot Noir

$45.00

Wine Information

100% Pinot Noir

*6 bottle limit

Appellation

Santa Cruz County

Alcohol By Volume

13.9%

Popped the 2020 Corralitos not too long ago - was in the last ATP shipment. Definitely more compelling than either the 2018 or 2019. It felt less American Oaky, so that was an improvement. I don’t go to Ridge for the Pinot noir, and this isn’t going to convince me otherwise… Their zins at similar pricing is what it’s all about.

Ridge linked the full story in an email today. In short, a single vine in the over a 100 year old mixed black planting at Lytton turned out to be Pinot. They sent it to Davis to be cleaned up, and then propagated it at Monte Bello. As part of that project, they sourced this Gali Vyd Pinot to learn how to make the stuff well. Then, perhaps, they’ll hit the ground running with an Estate PN.

The Corralitos has definitely gotten better each vintage, with the '20 quite good. (At least as far as general California standards, rather than the best PN region in CA standards.) Reverse engineering, it makes sense that in learning how to make good PN the most important early lessons come before it’s ready to barrel down. Get a good amount of fruit from the same source, then try different regimes with a bunch of batches. You can look past the barrel to a good degree, but still make good choices there to gain a little insight, without wasting money. Barrel experiments come when they’re ready. And, they can always do things like reserve an exceptional batch into a good barrel. And, they can bottle whatever smaller amount from each barrel, if they want, to compare over time, before blending the rest. The best result from a batch in a learning vintage could be much better than the commercial release. The “let’s do more of this” factor.

2 Likes

Tasted at the April release party and grabbed two bottles, one for a friend, one for us.

Really pleasant and balanced, and I agree the oak, while present, wasn’t dominant. I think it’s decent at this price point, but not outstanding.

Interesting History Wes. Tasted this more than once at the last event and its just Meh, IMO. The Jimsomare was my WOTD outside Montebello.

BTW: 2021 Sandar and Hem Mindego Ridge Pinot is exciting. Popped one this evening. A bit more concentration than the 2019 but really pretty cherry and brush on the nose. A very vibrant Santa Cruz Mountains Pinot from a top-tier site next to Rhys Alpine and Horshoe vineyards. I suspect this one will sell out quickly in the fall when its released.

Sean