2019 Syrah based wines to buy

I think 2019 was Paul and Jackie’s last vintage.

I had a 2014 a couple weeks ago. Very tasty stuff.

That was a typo, yes, 2019

I have bought:
6x 2019 Halcón Alturas (5 left)
3x 2019 Domaine Champet Côte-Rôtie Les Fils à Jo

If Paul is still around with a final Berserker Day offer I will definitely get Halcón Elevación if there’s any left.

Thanks for posting this, because I also want to add probably one more bottling.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the 2019, but the 2018 Holus Bolus Franc de Pied is good.

Allemand but Greg K beat me to it.

I assumed Chave fulfills the “one expensive producer” in Kirk’s portfolio rather than Allemand, but that’s the first name on my list every year (if the most annoying in my bank account).

1 Like

Not buying Gonon? Year-in, year-out, always a purchase.

Now that it’s over $100 it’s not.

Gonon St Joseph is worth a look

Agree
Great when it was sub 40

Well you can’t get it for sub-40 anymore but you can certainly buy it for under 100. Might be a long-term customer discount though.

I still buy some, but I agree - it was my favorite pizza wine at the old pricing. Obviously good wine, but also a different proposition at $130.

1 Like

Drinking the 2019 Gonon Iles Feray right now, a check-in. Amazing that this stuff is now $45 to me, I still remember $16.99. I have to admit, this is $45 good.

I may be banned for asking this- no love for Shiraz?

Clarendon Hills Astrailis 2004 put Shiraz on the map for me!

I don’t think it’s going to get you banned…but there are some wines/styles I’m not interested in. A lot of people here on the forums love Cayuse or Gonon. Those wines are just not “my style”…having said that, posting this thread, means I now know that the La Chappelle is coming in at 15.5%, so that made this whole string worth it to me.

Clape?

1 Like

Yes, that’s now on the list. I don’t know how I missed it actually.

Are there specific wines you want to recommend, or just those two regions? Paso Robles wines, for my taste, are too overblown. The only SB Syrah I’ve had was Samsara & that was over-priced for the quality. I liked it, but a $30 Crozes blows it out of the water at 3/4 for the price.

Not at current prices. I was happy with the wine when it was in the $30-$36ish range. Now it’s way outside of what I’m willing to pay for the wine.

1 Like