2020 Burgundy: a few thoughts

I blinked and they more than doubled. Then I cried. I’ve been a huge Ramonet buyer and drinker. Those days are likely over.

1 Like

I have not had a ton of the wines yet, and just a handful of notes for anything above entry level, but despite the weather conditions I find both red and white 2020s I have had so far to be more “classic” than 2018 or 2019.

That said, I am hard pressed to find a comparable vintage. On the red side, maybe 1993 in terms of muscle and terroir expression - but with a freshness and supple feel that 1993 has never had. For the whites- maybe 2001? Maybe.

So, I would say they are classic perhaps in the sense they are archetypal- as in well rounded and showing equally impressively in terms of aromatics, ripeness, terroir, volume etc. But it is also a very unique vintage in that I so far am finding it very difficult to make comparisons to other years.

One thing I will say- 2019 was going to be my last vintage for buying top premier and grand cru. I love the vintage and figured that was a good point to step back. But in 2020, if further tastings bear out my initial impressions, I will be buying more premier and grand cru burgundy- red and white- than I have in quite a long time.

If I had to sum it up in the simplest terms- one thing that has come of the great change in Burgundy in recent years in terms of pricing and demand is that even at some of the most “traditional” addresses I have seen some very subtle changes along the lines of Bordeaux. The wines are often a touch cleaner, more polished, more detailed- but with a certain predictability and stability as well.

With 2020 I am feeling the voice of the earth very strongly along with some of the rusticity and unpredictability that accompany. Yes the wines I have had are supple and smooth- but they are also young, and the hints of the future are there portending a great deal of excitement. I am not sure how better to put it into words- perhaps someone else can state it more eloquently.

3 Likes

I don’t get why people drank it even before it doubled or tripled.

1 Like

maybe because it is so amazing?

I just picked up a bottle of '18 Ruchottes because of this…white Ramonet was one of those things I’d missed entirely after checking out of white Burgundy and wanted to experience this before it gets too far along the Coche trajectory. Planning a meal around this and my last '85 Krug.

2 Likes

2020 reds are arriving in Quebec, Canada.

The prices are out of controlled . Here is an example :

Domaine Lambrays - Clos des Lambrays 2020 $ 942.75 (1505-1644)
Domaine Lambrays - Clos des Lambrays 2019 $ 823.50 (1479-3419)
Domaine Lambrays - Clos des Lambrays 2018 $ 472.25 (1456-4261) .
Domaine Lambrays - Clos des Lambrays 2017 $ 411 (1429-6404)
Domaine Lambrays - Clos des Lambrays 2016 $ 397 (1385-2780)

1 Like

I am a big fan of Nick Lowe who wrote the song

i found this interesting because i feel like whenever i see “classic vintage” then thats when i get excited about that year. we dont get many of those anymore, we get a lot of “ripe vintage” or “warm, dry vintage” so classic to me translates to cool and longer.

maybe this is a mindset because i really came into my own in buying wine when the warm vintage was the norm and the classic vintage was the outlier?

1 Like