2020 German Riesling

It looks like Donnhoff made one and one reason I’m especially interested is because I don’t know how much eiswein will be made going forward.

Wine Cellerage is offering what appear to be 750s of 2020 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Eiswein at $599. I was also offered them elsewhere in 375 at $297.

Flatiron Wines lists the Dönnhoff, Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Eiswein ‘Goldkapsel’, 2020 $559 for 750 ml.

I have found that some GKA from higher acid vintages can resemble baby eisweins at a much lower price. For example, I felt this way about Schloss Lieser’s 2010 GKA.

Schloss Lieser is probably my favorite Riesling producer and I do find that it’s not uncommon for their pradikat wines to drink about one pradikat above what they’re labeled. I love the intensity and tension in Thomas’ wines!

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

I heard a vintage report from Cornelius by video a few days ago. I think Skurnik recorded it last fall or maybe earlier this year, and it’s on YouTube. Donnhoff harvested frozen grapes for the Eiswein on Nov 30, the first Eiswein harvest in many years and the earliest one Cornelius could recall. It’s become rare.

1 Like

Thanks. That was a good video. The only wine he specifically highlighted in that 14 minute video was the eiswein and he seems very excited about it.

The weird thing about that video, and another one I saw, is so little talk about specific wines and so much focus on the growing season. Although with COVID there was a lot to talk about. Maybe it was shot too early. I think a good time to shoot such a video would be just after bottling. Or if earlier, when fermentations are complete. And then get some commentary on specific wines.

1 Like

WHWC has 3 half-bottles for $200.

Has anyone tried the 2020 Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett from Donnhoff? It just dropped around here.

No but I want to grab a couple bottles. The 2019 was lovely. Envoyer had an offer out on it a couple weeks ago but then had to retract it because their supplier cut them.

I really enjoy it every vintage, but haven’t tried the 2020er yet. I think it’s a very easy buy at the price.

Although no one else on this board cares about professional reviews, I’m going a little nuts waiting for the first 2020 Riesling reviews to drop.

MFW needs to stop posting their IG teasers and come out with Issue 57 already…

1 Like

1 Like

I didn’t take any notes, but tried the 2020 Ulli Stein, Weihwasser Feinherb earlier this week and thought it was really delicious, tangy, but with mellow acids. I’m sure it would age a while, but it’s so juicy, drinkable, and cheap (something like $18 here in OR) that I’m not sure I’ll age any…just reach for it on warm summer days.

I skipped this cuvee with my 2020 HF purchase in favor of AP 12. I think I made a good decision.

Andrew, where have you seen the Förster being offered?

I swore I saw an email offer for it this week, but I can’t find it now. Different place.

Mose Fine Wine Issue No 57 is out.

“The 2020 vintage is about the fascinating balance of ripe flavors but delivered with a lightness rarely seen in recent years.”

“Overall, 2020 is a vintage to tank on if elegance, finesse, and playfulness is your thing:”

BUT don’t buy blind.

“However, the vintage is also quite heterogeneous and buying blind is, once again, not an option.”

1 Like