2020 Prum prices

That prediction has been made already by some in the industry, IIRC.

1 Like

julian haart’s PG spatlese was cheaper than his kabinett.

And didn’t one of the Kabis at the '19 auction (that is, the auction last year for the '19 vintage) go for more than the Spat from the same producer and vineyard? Or not quite? I don’t remember the details, but something like that.

Yes the Muller Kab went for more than the Spät.

Egon Muller’s Kabinett went for 241 Euro and the Spatlese went for 221 Euro.

But that unusual result is attributable to two market forces at work,

#1 - The Kabinett is made every year and has quickly become established as a “trophy” bottle. The regular availability helps with that. The Spatlese is made far less frequently and so is not so readily a trophy.

#2 - The Kabinett offering was 600 bottles versus the usual 1200 and that alone has a strong impact on the price, which in recent vintages was right around 200 Euro.

1 Like

I was just thinking, if any winery in the world was justified in raising prices, it’s Joh. Jos. Prum. Not only underpriced for its quality relative to the wines of other regions (which is true of many German producers), but also to its Mosel peers, where for a long time Prum seemed to be only a few bucks more than also-rans. With that said, their production is not tiny, so they will hit a ceiling at some point.

1 Like

Their production is not tiny but they are not looking to expand either, or experiment with other grape varietals. With demand going up, particularly for the kabinett class, I’m not surprised the price is going up.

I guess they kept reading on WB how underpriced their wines were! Sometimes we are our own worst enemies…Pity talking about how overpriced some wines are does not seem to work the same way.