2020 VDP Grosser Ring Auction Thread

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.12.09 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.15.07 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.19.41 AM.jpg

A nice showing for Von Othergraven.

Last year the Kabinett went for 27 Euros and the Spatlese for 40 Euros.

Stay tuned for the big news of the day! Muller Kabinett just set a new record! Spatlese up now- stay tuned for screenshots from the Stotter.

That’s amazingly disappointing. I wanted something four times the size of a German Mag.

Russel Faulkner getting the shout-out by the commentator.

Great to see that quite a few people from the US are getting up so early to watch this live. I’m doing the same. Normally, I’d be sitting in Trier sipping all the wines. Not this year though. So far, no surprises pricewise. von Othegraven is always highly underpriced. Their auction wines are usually a big step up from the normal Altenberg Kabinett and Spätlese. Especially, the price of the Auction Spätlese seems really low. The same for the halves of Zilliken Auslese. Seems like there are some bargains to be made this year (I did not put in any bids, missed it).

neener

So the winemakers themselves also are also bidding on these bottle? actually, I realize that Selbach is probably working as a merchant/in between?

The Muller spatlese price seems pretty decent relative to the regular bottling price and the typical prices these go for…

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.23.19 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.28.45 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.30.17 AM.jpg
The guy with the golf announcer voice gave a bunch of WBers in the YouTube livecast a shoutout!

Up next is Peter Lauer wines…

Given that there’s only a half-Fuder of Scharzhofberger Kabinett Auction this year (as opposed to a full fuder the years before, the price does not seem too crazy. But that the price of the Kabinett is higher than the Spätlese seems weird, a sign that certain “icon wines” fetch really high prices. I’d take a Scharzhofberger Auction Spätlese over a Kabinett anytime.

Looks like I should hopefully be getting some Lauer Kabinett

But the Spatlese is a lot rarer. Glad I have one now.

It is no surprise that Egon Muller set a new record of 241 Euros with his Kabinett, but the Spatlese going for 221 Euros is shocking, to say the least. 2014 was the last time Muller brought a Spatlese to the auction, and when you consider the enormous increase in interest in Muller wines since that time, plus the ever-climbing price of the Kabinett, my own financial modeling had predicted the Spatlese would go for 325 Euros this year. Happily I am getting all I bid on, but I wish I had gone for more bottles now.

My best guess for this outcome is that Spatlese has not been present in the auctions in the past few years when prices really shot up- buyers are used to a Kabinett and an Auslese (but there is no Auslese this year.) But stranger things have happened- it is an auction after all.

And some Fass 24. The Kupp rocketed.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.32.46 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.34.54 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.36.45 AM.jpg
I got some Kabi!

We posted about the same time. I agree with you. I think the buyers of recent years who have driven up the pricing are used to seeking the Kabinett and that is cemented in their minds as the target wine. It is also available just about every year, where the Spatlese has become a far less common offering.

This BTW is not an intellectual knock on buyers in this situation- the phenomenon of a certain consistency and availability being key to a product becoming an investment or prestige target is present in all luxury markets.

Wow! Shocked! Was going to bid for 6, but settled on 4.

Me too!

Same here! No dice on my other bids so far, though. I thought I’d get some Lauer 23, but no go. And my lowball on the MaxGrun 3L was blown away… neener

That schubert auslese… not a bad price at all.

Same here. At that price, I expect a couple of US retailers got in on the action. Will PM you if I find this true and hopefully we can get a couple more each.