2021 German Vintage Report - Whats old is new...(UPDATED FOR VOM BODEN TOUR HIGHLIGHTS)

1 Like

Such a relief to hear! I have ordered bottles and cases from just Max Kilburg, A.J. Adam and Julian Haart, mostly trockens, some kabinetts but even a few bottles of Julian’s spätlese on the hunch that the acidity would make it less sweet tasting; all without having sampled any of the 2021s, relying solely on their prowess and adeptness! (Max being the youngest and least experienced in a difficult year is the one I am most concerned about.)

13+ grams of acidity per liter is… unbelievable! I thought the 10+ grams of Hofgut Falkenstein was mind boggling, but that is just mind blowing!!! This vintage is going to widen my perspectives considerably. Following the development of these rieslings over the coming years and decades will be remarkable.

1 Like
3 Likes

2021 Donnhoff’s are wonderful. CellarTracker! Donnhoff Tasting

2 Likes

MFW sending out their next issue tomorrow, with Part 1 of their vintage report.

3 Likes

I’ve just opened the MFW issue, and what do I read in their Section “2021 Vintage - The Buying Guide” (no cantankerousness intended, really)?

Everything else they write, e.g. the hybrid character of “old-school lightness plus modern-day fruit”, is exactly true. Remarkably, MFW, too, relate the structure of the 2021’s to something from the early 90s. I had done so, too, but when chatting with my producers in the Mosel about that, they replied “mmh, more like the 1960s even”. Until I realized that we have a three-point-six roentgen situation here: that’s how far their living memory reaches. Like Bordeaux, due to climate change Germany’s Northern wine regions are entering a phase of “either the year is very hot, either the year crap and extremely hard work in the vineyard is needed to save what can be saved, with wines being the result that were never made before”. And as Paula wrote in the Keller thread, prices will have to go up significantly to accommodate the new risk profile these changed climate patterns inevitably entail. Else the required efforts just can’t be sustained.

Note MFW’s praise of Auslesen (which really can be extremely good and, at the starred/goldcap level, will be legendary in 30 or so years IMO), but with the proviso of very high acidity. Also, they recommend considering backfilling with previous vintages.

MFW also write:

Already now, some of these wines are candidates for wine perfection. While stylistically, the result may vary from a tad ripe to slightly underripe in terms of flavors and from intense to less intense in term of texture, most of these wines will offer grandiose drinking pleasure in a few years (…)

Look, we all love our Mosel Rieslings, but this statement can (and IMO should) be read with a frown: “slightly underripe”, “less intense in term(s) of texture” (which is really alarming!), and, most importanty, the beginnig of the sentence: “already now”. I’ve had Kabinetts of the the olden days (from before the 90s) drunk with 30 or so years, and… there’s a reason why the Song of the Mosel is sung by what was even then full Spätleses and starred Ausleses! Get your 2021 Kabinetts, enjoy them now over summer, but don’t wait for the 13 grams of acidity to resolve with bottle maturation. It. Will. Not. Happen. Enjoying Riesling is not about showing off to your neighbor that you can take the acidity like a real man.

MFW also point out how this vintage (again, just like in Bordeaux) re-established the hierarchy of vineyards. This confirms my experience so far that producer portfolios are far from the homogeneity they enjoyed in the past ten or so years and to which we have grown very accustomed. One of my favorite producers made, to my taste, the best Wehlener Sonnenuhr wines ever, but their Brauneberg wines are underwhelming (and more in line with vintage expectations), even though this is not shared by many other reviewers. 2021 truly is a vinate like no other vintage before. Beware of buying blindly, or you won’t get out of 2021 what you love.

Cheers,
HPE

4 Likes

It’s been quite a while when I have seen 76° Oechsles mentioned in MFW vintage report. Actually it has never happened as these are true old school Saar values right there :smiley:.

These 76° Oe used to be the legal limit for a Spätlese in M-S-R. :smiley:

1 Like

It would be actually great if the wine would have labelled as a spätlese :smiley:. But yeah in theory you can make and label wine as a kabinett if sugars are over 70° Oe but in recent vintages where kabinetts have been produced from closer to 90° Oe grapes 76 is very, very low! Btw. I have drank the wine in question and it’s really good. I would have never guessed oeschle-levels so low.

1 Like

Yeah I read that as well, first thing this morning. Excited to see that and look forward to tasting them soon!

1 Like

Looking foward to hearing from your tasting experience, Robert!

Very good scores for Willi Schaefer in the latest MFW.

1 Like

I’ll be diving in as soon as I get to work :slight_smile:

Thanks for your insights Hans-Peter. If you don’t mind me asking, which producer are you referring to that was so divergent in Wehlener Sonnenuhr vs. Brauneberg wines?

While initially excited about many of the kabinett this vintage not coming off like spätlese or auslese in disguise, I think I’ll likely buy more spätlese this vintage than I was expecting. Who knows when we’ll see another vintage again when they don’t start picking until mid-October. I find my palate aligns pretty closely to Jean & David’s.

This year will be an early harvest.

Obviously, since they moved the auctions back to mid September.

I took this to mean they recommended backfilling if you’re interested in the estate/entry level wines as such wines in the 2021 vintage are often underripe/subpar as they are made from the lower tier vineyards that didn’t excel/ripen like they did in other recent vintages.

Made my day ! [rofl.gif]

And did exactly that, with the exception of placing an order of willi schaefer spats right away before work …

Ever since I heard about the nice acidity of this vintage, I’ve been thinking of focusing on Spatlese (and above), and this MFW issue seems to support my thoughts. Not only do I prefer the “fruity” and sweet wines in general, my favorite thing about Riesling is the tension between sweetness and acidity. So, when that acidity is higher and a Oe lower, I like to move up the Pradikat ladder to find that great contrast between sweetness (and ripe fruit) and electric acidity. I’m especially excited for Schloss Lieser’s wines as I love how the typical power of their wines pairs with electrifying acidity.

Brian,

that producer in question is Max. Ferd. Richter. I’m a huge fan of their BJ/BJSU normally, but in 2021 WSU rules supreme at Casa Richter. To my taste, their WSUs outperfom their BJSUs at every level by at least 2-3 points. MFW see them at the same level, as do other folks I’ve spoken too, so I’m the minority report here, apparently.

The reson I much prefer the WSU is that it manages to develop so much more clarity and brilliance, it’s almost a liquid crystal (that’s the 2021 acidity at work right there, folks!), with beautifully tropical aromatics (that’s the modern fruit expression) even at Kabinett level, whereas BJ/BJU remains a bit veiled, and pushes a bit too much the apple/pear theme (which I can live with, but prefer not to if given the choice). Remarkably, these differences persist across the entire prädikat range, from Kabinett to AL** - put the two wines next to each other, you’ll always recover BJ/BJSU. So yes, 2021 is about “terroir”, but no, 2021 is not excellent: in a really good year, BJ/BJSU doesn’t display this aromatic spectrum, it “merely” displays more minerality and somewhat less fruit. It would appear that Brauneberg is less blessed than Wehlen…

Kabinetts: In my book, Kabinett WSU consistently outperforms BJ Fuder 4 Kabinett, but the respective 2021 versions could be the best ever made - if the whopping acidity works out. (I’m not buying.)

Spätleses: The WSU SL is stellar (yet a light AL, due to the somewhat higher sugar, and with perceivable sweetness in the aftertaste), I’m surprised MFW didn’t go for 97 points -their ratings are often way too much on the high side to my taste (and they don’t do peer group)-, and I certainly believe that the BJSU SL is significantly weaker, there’s less aromatic interest and less definition (but dryish aftertaste here too). I’m inclined to give the WSU SL a whopping 94-96 points (certainly in 20 years), while the BJSU SL is maybe at 91-93 if it generates more complexity with bottle age. We had both SL next to each other, and WSU mopped the floor with BJSU, it was cruel.

On a side note, Elisenberg SL is very nicely done, too, very different in profile from WSU (obviously, the soils are completely different, so slate-induced spiciness is absent), with slightly less complexity apparent, but beautifully juicy, lots of substance, dryish aftertaste, this is proper Spätlese, you just want to drown yourself in this. That wine, too, I rate higher than BJSU SL, 93-94 points, possibly more with bottle age (it’s really not far behind WSU). That said, Elisenberg is very consistently producing fabulous Spätleses, it’s really a special place, so this is just more of the same. If you’ve liked it so far, you’ll also like it this year.

Starred Ausleses: The WSU AL*** is indeed “mind-blowingly great” (MFW), these are real 95-97 points in my book, and I’m very, very conservative with points. The botrytis is extremely clean. Awesome, epic, legendary stuff - but you have to wait a couple of decades (if you have a kid born in this year, this is where you want to go for 750’s; if you’re older than 50, live long and prosper…). But very, very sweet, so really more BA level than AL. MFW’s assessment of the BJSU AL*** as LGK is workable, there seems to be more botrytis here than in the WSU counterpart, but very clean, too. Here, the rating is slightly on the high side for me, I gave 93-94. I’d rather spend my money on the WSU SL.

Note: I drank the wines, so had the benefit of seeing the bottle evolve over some time.

HTH & Cheers,
HPE

2 Likes

Yes. But if 2021 were so exceedingly excellent as some people have us believe, this wouldn’t be an issue, right? One can’t look at the top wines of the Top 10 producers and judge a vintage by how they fare. Try this in any wine region, and you lose tons of money.

2 Likes