2022 Under $20.00 Wine Thread

You have 7900 posts and what percent have to do with anything about wine? Try doing a tasting note.

1 Like

7900? What a waste of time!! And I don’t how to do a tasting note, I did like a DeNegoce wine recently and posted on that thread .

Just make up a bunch of descriptors and throw a score on it. Usually scores range from 85 to 95 but for the pro critics 93 to 100. [wow.gif]

1 Like

Solid value for the money.

2018 Feudo Montoni Sicilia Nero d’Avola Lagnusa

not bad. a little heavier in dark fruit than I expected, but solid. Good way for me to mix it up from all of the red fruit in Tempranillo, Southern Rhone GSM, and Sangiovese that I drink so often.

Yes it is. Hard to believe I can get a bottle of Bordeaux shipped for under $15.00.

If you want a somewhat brighter fruited expression of Nero, I’d suggest Gulfi’s Nerojbleo, which is also under $20. The '17 was great, the '18 good but a bit chewier and more rustic. I’m hoping the '19 is more like the '17. Great pizza wine.

1 Like

Rodano Chianti Classico ~ $15. The 2016 should still be available. Violets, spice, cedar, dark cherry. Loads of complexity in a widely distributed wine.

Last night I had an excellent sub $20 Nebbiolo Langhe. 2017 Pertinace Langhe Nebbiolo. My first bottle a year ago (and my first from this producer) showed promise but was very tight and young. Last night’s bottle was in a great place. Poured it into a decanter but was ready to go right away. Good value and I’ll likely pick up more of these.

Bedrock’s Ode to Lulu releases on Tuesday ~ $19. French style rose’ that punches above its weight class.

1 Like

Ansonia has some nice Cru Beaujolais for under $20:

Monnet Chiroubles 2020 and Julienas 2019, $18
Monnet Julianas Vieilles Vignes 2020 $14 (sale)
Perrachon Moulin-a-Vent “Terres Roses” 2019, $15 (sale)

I’ve had several wines from both of these producers and they are solid buys for sub $20 imo.

2016 Cafaggio Chianti Classico Villa Cafaggio Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2/13/2022)
Day 2: Good on day 1 but wanted to see this evolve a bit more and is it good for the money. Christmas spice, funk, minerals, red currants, iron and minerals. Nice rustic edge and medium finish. Good acidity. This is far better than recent vintages of Felsina Chianti’s I have sampled and less money. (Composite Cork) (92 points)
$17.99 at WineBuyer and free shipping. Second bottle and really solid stuff! [cheers.gif]
IMG_2172.JPG

Well this is certainly not one I would recommend for 19.97 on sale in the Twin Cities.
2020 Diatom Chardonnay - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (2/13/2022)
Day 1: Got some big scores and it was $20 so why not try it. Well, no oak barreling and as I predicted tastes like a Sauvignon Blanc. It is not bad but 96 points is a joke! Straw, lemon, mild spices, lime and orange rind. A bit bitter on the finish. Acidity marginal. (composite cork). 87 points (87 points)
Posted from CellarTracker
2020 diatom chard.JPG

Over this past weekend we had two perennial winners in the under $20 category. Actually, that might undersell it, as these two wines dominate the category in my opinion, and each would be a good value at $30.

2018 Vallana Campi Raudii - very young but just really, really good. Okay, it’s not at the level of the phenomenal '16, but that is to be expected. Still, just a joyous, forward, fresh Nebbiolo which drinks great out of the gate and will only improve. Best to drink these and allow the '16s to rest.

2019 Pepiere Briords - This wine gets such universal praise that really nothing more needs to be said, but it remains just so good. My most consumed white, year after year.

2016 Arbalest - $20

Domaine Lafage Cuvee Nicholas, a very nice Grenache for $15.99.

1 Like

2019 Slam Dunk, 55% Petite Sirah and 45% Zinfandel, $12.99.

Bogle reds aren’t strangers to QPR discussions, and I recently recommended them to someone looking for a pleasant, not fancy, wine to pair with steak. He bought a bottle of their Cab at $9.99. He was pleased.

Who gave it big scores ? And what were they ?

Vinous 96, WE 95, Jeb 93. Had I not tried this on day 3 would never have gotten to the 90 assessment.

1 Like