2022 West Coast Weather and Farming Thread

Yes, at least for now. My last vintage was 2019, which is 10 months in bottle and showing very well. I have recently heard that the 2019s are showing well very early.

Frenchtown Farms in Yuba reported they lost most of their crop to frost. It looks like Forlorn Hope also was affected.

Keep us posted please . . .

Another fan and almost water last night. Low of 30ish. Got a little over an inch of rain with another inch or more on the way.

Second round of mowing done in the vineyard.

Probably another frost tonight.
03BB3C07-EB66-411D-B4FB-3CDA52EB1BCD.jpeg

So sad to hear this, so many great wines are made from that vineyard.

Please let us know if you get more info.

Tom

Right now the wind machines are on and it is reportedly 38 degrees. They are saying a chance of rain later and through the week, which should keep the temps higher. The only thing to do is hope.

Now hearing from our Lodi grower that the season might be a total loss for pinot noir on some ranches, and 75% loss in others.

Morgan Twain-Peterson posted on instagram this morning 4/18 they had some frost damage. Not sure the extent

1 Like

Washington had pretty nutso weather most of last week, with snow, freezing temps just about everywhere in Eastern Washington. Bud break or not is a bigger question and in my case I had not seen any bud break yet. My coldest night was 26 F and no signs of damage so far after checking buds yesterday. Iā€™m expecting to hear/see some reports of damage but mostly itā€™s too early to tell. Forecast is a bit warmer this week, but still not out of the woods.

This was my vineyard last Monday, and it melted and re-covered about 2-3 times last week before a ā€œfinalā€ melt off yesterday.

3 Likes

wow. i have cherry tomatoes and squash growing already. i feel like we are on different planets! hoping you avoid damage. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

General question - have the recent bits of rain done anything to move the needle in Northern California, or is it still wildly below normal for the year?

Because of a very wet October, and an even wetter December, the numbers in the Bay Area actually are just about normal, but the previous two years (especially last year) have been so dry, it feels like weā€™re way behind.

2 Likes

I seem to have dodged the frost bullet in Marin, but my Mom lost quite a bit (30% estimate) of her sangiovese in Amador County.
The main thing the recent rains have done is help the topsoil soil consume my massive cover crop. It smells like Iā€™m turning compost while disking out there, the soil tilth is the best it has ever been, and every fistful is laced with fungal hyphae. Itā€™s the picture of health.
I had to just leave last yearā€™s canes out there to produce whatever they could this year. Due to the drought, there werenā€™t suitable replacement canes to lay down. Itā€™s turning out better than expected, as the majority of the nodes are putting out shoots with flower clusters. There are certainly more blanks than normal, but itā€™s not the complete disaster that I had feared.

5 Likes

Another frost scare last night, thankfully the fog came in.

Weak shoot thinning this week should be done today.

Absolutely great wine pouring and growing weather.

Hearing reports of bloom, that feels 3-ish weeks early

Nothing here.

Weā€™re definitely in it in RRV.

No bloom, but yellow starthistle is freakishly early ā€“ like 6 weeks ahead of normal.

Here I am in AZ and retired, but still following my buddies back home. Seems like Anderson Valley has been very cool and damp. The good thing is they have had almost 4" of rain in April, bad news is vines are way behind for the season. I hear from friends that vines are yellow and stunted. They also say cluster counts are very much on the high side. Guess Iā€™ll be watching from 1200 miles away!

You know you miss it.

-Al