20Yr Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve Bourbon

I haven’t left the house today. I got nothing. Though I am picking up some Bomberger and Shenks tomorrow from a friend who got some for me.

Funny to see this thread revived as I was just having this discussion over dinner last night with a friend. I was explaining how ‘back in the day’ I thought bourbon prices had become ridiculous when Pappy 20 passed over the $120 mark and I decided to stop buying because I wasn’t going to feed into the stupidity. Fortunately, I’m a slow bourbon drinker so I still have 3.5 bottles of the original left to enjoy over the next 20 years. And, since this movement doesn’t show any real signs of abating, that will probably be it for my relationship with Pappy. That’s especially true since the original water is all gone anyway.

I also suspect that the science of dialing in a perfect taste is going to get better and better for spirits like bourbon to the point that if you only care about the taste and not the label, it will be replicated in non-traditional ways. Therefore, the labels will become the collector’s items, not the actual spirit. We’re probably already there on that last point.

1 Like

Those original Stitzel-Weller casks are long gone of the Pappy 20. Such a great one several years ago. I think you have a true treasure there Chris.

what was last year S-W?