3-6 hour decant

I had to look that up, lol

1 Like

I have a small under counter wine cooler in the kitchen in which I can decant up to three bottles and keep them at optimal temp while I monitor and check in on them over time.

Yes, you are crazy. Check this thread The myth of letting wines breathe - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers and see that letting wines breathe is a myth.

Well, you said it’s a myth in that thread, but a lot of us disagreed. I continue to strongly disagree that aeration of most wine doesn’t change them. I was quite confident in the discussion back then, and after almost two years now of zoom tastings, trying wines over multiple days and seeing their development, there is now absolutely no doubt in my mind that air changes wines, more often than not for the better.

I agree. I think it is better to decant at room temperature and then put it back in the refrigerator for 15 (glass) or 20 (decanter) minutes prior to serving. In my experience, wines decanted in the refrigerator (or even the wine refrigerator) take longer to open up than wines decanted at room temperature.

To me that makes sense - chemical reactions occur quicker at warmer temps. I also decant at room temp, then put back in the wine fridge prior to serving.