3x 2019 Falkenstein Kabinetts

I like the significant evolution over (especially) the first 3-4 days open. Really interesting.

At this point I don’t think I’ll get my note up on the 2019 #11 (from 750) until the weekend. But I drank it over 4 days. Excellent. And it has a lot of structure on which to age, which is especially apparent on Day 4.

Someone asked me to reply to this thread. When Erich Weber first started to make his own wines in the early eighties, he only produced bone-dry Saar Rieslings and had a devoted following who snatched up all of his wines, and he never sought to have a private cellar of back vintages. Even now, he and his middle son, Johannes, have no desire to store lots of bottles from multiple vintages in a “treasure chamber.” This doesn’t mean, however, that their Rieslings don’t age. On the contrary, the wines age very well.

Lars,

I had a couple of wines from the late 80s or early 90s from the winery and now have had wines from 2015 and 2017. So, I have a bit of experience with the estate but not that much - I will have more over time as I am buying more wines from the estate. I thought that the wines from years ago were more austere young and showed its structure a lot more than it showed its fruit (at least young than the wines do today. What I have found with the more recent wines I have had is also excellent structure but more fruit and a good deal of dry extract showing as excellent minerality. I cannot compare aging ability as I have not had any mature wines from the estate. Do you think I am close or way off base in my comments?

Someone = me :smiley:

I wonder how much of this is a general reflection of climate change and better ripening of grapes in the Saar.

I think the first one I had was a 1989, a pretty warm vintage, even in the Saar. My guess is that there was a good bit of fruit there but that it was hidden beneath the structure - although the grapes could have been picked earlier or something like that.

Just popped open a Krettnacher Altenberg Riesling Spätlese Trocken #7 and see what the hub-bub is all about: mineral with fruit and an electrical charge (dry extract?) that is very nicely balanced. After protesting that I cannot forecast young Riesling, well, this one seems to telling me that there is a lot in store as the fruit, mineral and extract gain complexity, at least for the midterm. Glad I picked these up. Stoppering the bottle and may report back in the next couple of days.

Yes, I think you’re right.

In the 2013 vintage, the Webers also replaced their old screw press with a pneumatic press, which is pretty standard.

It plays a role for sure. In the 2020 vintage, must weights on the Saar were low, but this was due to a lack of rain in the summer, which affected the young vines adversely. The drought conditions are also a reflection of climate change.