50 Useful Tips for New Harvest Interns (Plus link to 50 openings for 2010)

I thought I remembered seeing you screaming at some new interns “where you from boy? Oklahoma??!! I hear all they got there is steers and queers, and you don’t look like no steer. You a queer Boy? Well, are you?” (with apologies to Lou Gosset Jr.)

I was hoping there might be some cush jobs for lazy slackers? [scratch.gif]

I had the same reaction as Brian to some (not all, but some) of the items listed above. As he said, it’s about the tone rather than the content. I have significant responsibilities for safety at work. It’s not winery work but it has at least as many hazards and a significantly higher level of external scrutiny. Success is mostly about teaching people and teaching them to teach others. And teaching is never about talking down to people. Yes, you need to set expectations and monitor them and let them know when they have messed up and what they should have done and what you expect them to do in the future. But never talk down to them. While I’m sure it was not intended, that’s how some of the tips come across.

-Al

Whoa, now we have a good discussion, after I’ve already written the thing! hitsfan

The ‘brochure’ is now up to 20 6 x 9 pages!!!
I’ve been adding in the ‘whys and wherefores’. Like Nate says, understanding WHY is really important, otherwise winemakers just come across as inexplicably anal about details, and then interns get lazy or rebellious. But if they UNDERSTAND the importance of what they are doing and why it must be done a certain way, they take a lot more care and pride in their job.

And yes, this is a ‘vent’ thread to give me ideas for the eGuide. Although there is still a lot of “don’t do this or that” advice, I temper it with stories of hapless interns who did NOT pay attention. (All the stories have happy endings. Well, except maybe one.)

It still isn’t up on Lulu because I now have so much material that I am rearranging the tips and lengthening the intro, adding a bio, etc. I decided I didn’t like the tips in random order, so I cut the manuscript up into 60+ pieces and laid it out on the picnic table to rearrange. And then the breeze kicked up. [swoon.gif]

Nate is the only here who has produced “quotable” material, and I will add that in as an anonymous tip. Thanks, Nate!

The tips will address topics in this order:

1. things you should learn or practice well before reporting for duty
  2. what to pack and stock
  3. how to maintain focus, follow instructions, etc.
  4. equipment and general safety (several tips of forklift operation and stressing the dangers, explaining WHY forklifts are so dangerous–eg, they are so easy and fun to operate they seem like glorified golf carts, and people underestimate them)
  5. practical work tips and little more on staying focused and busy

By the way, the new title is:
50 Tips for Cellar Rats:
How to Enjoy Working
as a Winery Cellar Rat or Harvest Intern

I’d love a copy !
Thanks

Lou Gosset, Jr? WTF? Been watching Iron Eagle again [wink.gif] ? Great flick.

It seems that some folks think I am more like this guy anyways:

such is life.

Me!

[dance-clap.gif]

Get yer movies right.

Definitely NSFW due to language.

Thought I covered that up thread?

FWIW, Lou’s tech adviser in An Officer and a Gentleman
was none other then R. Lee Ermey from FMJ

Mary, if you filtered the “venting” stuff, it’s probably fine. I agree with you and others that the whys are important. At work, I’m responsible for scientists, engineers, and technicians. I can tell you that scientists (and to some degree engineers) aren’t very good at following instructions unless they know why it’s important to do it that way. The technicians are better about following instructions, but they also follow them better and develop better ways to do things if someone explains the underlying reasons. I’m guessing Brian’s comments about the whys was a reaction to the venting aspects.

-Al

Al and Brian,

Read through this entire section, not just this post. Look at all the request for work, from people all over the country, from every type of background. Look for the phrases ‘my dream’, ‘romantic’, ‘exciting’, ‘further my education’. That’s a huge part of the direct tone.

We have 2-3 hours to snap someone out of their dream state and into the realization that they are working on a farm with heavy industrial equipment, producing food. The result of not following instructions can lead to death. Two years ago in a winery 15 miles from me a worker was killed in a crusher when he reached in to try and pull something out and got his shirt stuck. The crusher tore of his arm while pulling him in. You can loose fingers toes and limbs and the truth is most people we get, have zero experience working with heavy machinery.

That’s why I’m serious about it. It’s hard industrial/farm labor. Backbreaking, tedious, serious work. The time for day dreams is over the first moment you arrive and my job is to make that 100% clear right away. I’ve had good interns, good kids, but they made mistakes and didn’t listen to me. They got heat exhaustion, serious sun burn, poison oak, bumps, bruises, and sore muscles. But I haven’t had one die on me yet, so I’m gonna keep being tough.

That’s why I’m serious about it

You should be serious about it. I’m serious about safety, too, whether at a winery or at my day job where we work with things that can kill, blind, seriously maim, or sicken you. My comments tried to address how to be most effective in the goal, which is give new workers rules that will help keep them from hurting themselves or others or damaging equipment or wine. In my experience, how you communicate can be as important as what you communicate.

FWIW, I didn’t disagree with anything you wrote above.

-Al

Yeah AL and you can see my list is an outline and more conversational. I sit down 1x1 and go over the what’s and why’s. I’m more direct too. I don’t have 10 different rules for the forklift, I’ve got one “Don’t touch it. If you need something moved, come get me or Jerry.” My rules are more in that tone, simple and direct.

Al has explained where I am coming from with incredible accuracy and perception, so instead of repeating what he has said I’ll just say he has correctly described the reasoning behind my posts in this thread. I understand that the “why’s” can be important - even crucial; I think that is the only point on which I might revise my original post in this thread (i.e.: okay, tell me “why”); I would still leave-in the part about not bitching, though. I would encourage anyone who is at all taken-aback by my post to carefully read it again – I chose my words carefully when I posted.

Paul, my experience has also been that direct and simple works best even (especially?) with well-educated folks. The explanation of “why” can be more involved, but for rules, simple and direct works best.

-Al

How about: Don’t just stand there like a dufus when the winemaker asks you to do something and doesn’t have the luxury of having time to explain why. Just make a mental note and ask later (if you didn’t figure it out through observation).

I can think of several of people with MBAs who have real problems following simple directions. People who haven’t done real jobs before are the ones likely to freeze up, not listen carefully, or second guess.

Anyway, you’re there to learn. But your learning is far from the winemaker’s top priority.

Having done this one or twice myself, I have to agree with you. Sometimes it was a function of exhaustion, others it was a function of having spent years thinking (and over-thinking) actions while desk jockeying. To an extent, I’d say it’s on the hiring manager to recognize when someone will be less adaptable in split-second situations and either train them up front (no, I don’t know how) or pass on the hire.

I have to agree with you, Erik. Experience has shown many of us that people who work in very structured careers make the worst possible candidates. Valve open and wine pouring out? They’ll stand there dumb-founded, waiting for instruction. I touch on that topic too.

All done! I’m just waiting for a high resolution photo of my favorite cellar rat for the cover, and then I can finish the cover design.

Here is a link to the rough draft of the cover. I am still waiting on the original photograph, so this is a little blurry.

Thanks to everyone for your help and input.