6 TNs from last night: OLD Hanzell Pinot Noir, Vilmart and a few others

[quoteTodd F r e n c h wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm
Where’d you get those old Hanzells?? What a treat
Sean bought them from my buddy that sold me the DRC for $20 each. I think he paid $25 a piece the Hanzell? Really neat stuff, I’ll get my notes up. The only thing tougher than tasting blind is tasting blind with some age. I had 3 guesses and wasn’t even close. I thought they were old Ridge Monte Bello because of the oak/dill. Buzzz!!!

From that cellar, there’s a few more treats lurking as Seiber, Sean, and I purchased about 3-4 cases of fun stuff.

So far, only one bad bottle, a late 1990’s Mt. Eden Chardonnay that showed obvious signs of stress but purchased anyway on a prayer.

We are all regretting not buying more but who knew…][/quote]
Brig what is the ruling on the avatar?

Not clear on whether Fu’s 1974 Hanzell was part of this tasting or not, no tasting notes.
Was it like the other Hanzell PNs, or ?
I am sitting on a perfect one also from the Davis Cellar as is Dr Glenn, curious regarding traits and longevity.

It’s possible. Sean Kennedy could answer the question better, but I think he at least opened it early afternoon to check on it, not sure if he double decanted or anything.

I think it was a little better at the end of the dinner than it was when first poured, but still not good.

That, my friend, you will have to Google.

Personally, it’s in the cup.

John Glas wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Brig what is the ruling on the avatar?
That, my friend, you will have to Google.

Personally, it’s in the cup.

I would count it!

All the still wines were opened at 3:00 and dinner started at 6:00. And Larry nailed it. I had a bottle of K Vintners a week earlier and on the second day it was showing better, for sure. Didn’t seem as lean. Maybe I’ll sneak it in blind again with more air time.

I picked up a ‘76 Hanzell Pinot in a mixed lot from this weekend’s HDH auction. Looking forward to trying it after reading these notes.