$6500 for this poxed Monty?

On the other hand, watch this food fight.

I think when an auction house offers something to consumers they implicitly put their stamp on it with respect to provenance, bottle condition, etc. That seems a very different situation compared to counterparties trading in the financial markets. Especially when those in the know commonly associate brown bottles with high premox risk

At least they provide a picture. My understanding was many retailers don’t offer refunds on premoxed bottles, in which case if you don’t ask for a visual inspection or a picture you’re out of luck.

That was my point above. Transparency is super-senior to perfection. (For this thread, color is sometimes related to transparency. [wow.gif] )

I have been intrigued by this discussion and I went in my cellar to see the color of my Montrachet 2002.
here are the pictures :

the first picture taken in my cellar is very dark. The second with more light is better but not so sexy and the third shows the neck which shows a clear wine.
When I have the bottle in hand, I see no problem. When it is vertical, it becomes darker.

I think that the glass used is not crital clear and catches the light to give the impression of a brown wine.
My opinion is that the wine has not any problem and that the glass creates a very bad impression. Is the glass made to protect against light ? I do not know and I will ask the domain.

I try to make good photos, but the result is not so good.

I have seen Aubert de Villaine tonight and he has confirmed that the glass is not clear and designed to protect against light.
It is what Cristal Roederer makes, not with the glass but with a yellow foil to protect from light.

Nice to have AdV on speed dial/Facetime on a whim!

Curious if this was opened and the picture is just a reflection of the glass and it was a true representation of DRC Montrachet if everyone would rescind their criticism.

Granted if I was trying to sell a $6500 bottle I’d be damn sure the pic was representative.

There was yesterday the dinner of the “académie du vin de France” and I met Aubert de Villaine. I took the opportunity to ask him.

You have seen my pictures. The dark one looks like the one which has initiated this discussion.
But when you have the bottles in hand, changing the direction of the light, the impression is largely better and I have no worry for the two bottles on the pictures that I made, pictures which could lead to the same doubts as exposed in this discussion.

Hmmmm? I’ll take the 2014…and it’s cheaper! [highfive.gif]