750ml vs. magnum

Magnum will keep longer so technically should keep its value better

I love big bottles! Great show pieces, exciting to serve. I brought a 6L Bordeaux to a very small wedding the other day, people love them. Even non wine people were visibly excited. I am happy to pay the premium.

The premium varies depending on where in the supply chain you purchase.In the after market its all about scarcity. The longevity of a magnum over a normal bottle is HUGE!!! Could add 25- 50 yrs,
Of course, very cold storage could do the same (48 degrees )

In my experience, people enjoy seeing large format bottles. They are always fun to bring out at larger gatherings…

Ditto to what others said - fun to bring out at gatherings!

I agree on the large formats, people love them at parties. I have been focusing on mags and 3L recently and they look great in the cellar!!

More costly bottling process and lower volume. ANY size that deviates from 750 ml is likely to be more expensive per ml. 375 ml bottles are more expensive per ml, usually.

[cheers.gif] Magnum costs more than double two 750ml because:

1. glass bottle mould need to be invested for 1.5L large bottles. Mold fee can be huge so increasing unit price of Magnum bottle.
  2. bottling machine for 750ml is economy while machinery for bottling Magnum need to be customised.
  3. on supermarket shelfs Magnum need more higher spaces.

From end-users view:

1. Magnum is unique and eye-catching for Party.
  2. People are willing to pay rare packaging collection than normal 750ml.

Bottle variation is real and when everyone is drinking from magnum, everyone is drinking the same wine.

‘A magnum is the perfect size for 2 gentlemen to share over lunch …especially if one of them isn’t drinking’.