A bitters thread

This. Have been using Miracle Mile for years, as a friend designed his labels and turned me on to them. The Forbidden bitters (name derived from the inclusion of Tonga beans) are epic in a Manhattan, adding a vanilla flavor that is just spectacular.

He’s heard this before neener

Was waiting for this! For this particular drink, it’s all alcohol, and the shaken ice shards and coolness, render the drink refreshing. But there I go again mentioning ice and bourbon in the same sentence. Let the flogging begin. [berserker.gif] newhere .

Mike, on a hot afternoon, try it both ways. I will too and see how I feel.

Crude Bitters. I like their “Sycophant” orange & fig for Old Fashions. Bittery is in Raleigh NC but they have an online store. Came highly recommended by some serious barmen.

1 Like

Another good producer is Pink House Alchemy

Their Smoldered bitters is really good, as is their Mexican Chile syrup.

1 Like

Another good option is from Woodford Reserve. They sell their own bitters.

I like Crude Bitters as well. Not as much as I like Miracle Mile, but every once in a while I like to change things up. “Bitterless Marriage” for Manhattans and “Sychophant” for Negroni’s.

Ooooh that sounds good. Have to give that a try!

I’d throw the Sychophant in a Boulevardier as well.

Peychauds and Angostura are good stock bitters. Scrappy’s and Bittermen’s have some cool options. Been testing thru Australian Bitters Co. to see about carrying them, but haven’t had booze in a few weeks so need to get back into them, tried Coffee and Smoke, still need to try Grapefruit, Barrel Spice, and few others. Solid so far.

Kelly,

Thanks for the tip I will check them out this weekend when I’m in town.

Who is making the hibiscus bitters you guys are trying?

Has anyone tried milk washing their bitters? I did a large batch of Angostura a couple of years ago and thought it was very interesting. It changed the profile as I lost certain flavors along with the bitterness. I wish I could remember some of the really distinctive cocktails I made with it. If anyone has done this, I wonder if you have favorite applications.

Dashfire for me.

Miracle Mile restock at K&L.

I just bought this one on a whim because it sounds great. No idea how to incorporate it though. Thoughts on good uses?
E4EDB421-DA1D-4304-A6CA-499F40304626.jpeg

Hmmm, maybe start with something simple like a Dirty Martini? Gin and Tonic?

Or just go classic and make an Old Fashioned?

OF to me calls for either fruit bitters (citrus or cherry) or maybe Molasses bitters; not herbal.

G & T is my go to drink and I don’t think it works with what I’m looking for in London Dry….but in a St George Botanivore, which is very earthy to start, it works well. I’ll try the Manhattan next as the back label says it mimics vermouth, which I can see to a point.