A brosé bronanza with the brochachos

+1 I’ll happily open some L’Anglore for comparison

1 Like

Thank you! Eric’s wines are insane and a huge inspiration.

John Lockwood and I were lucky enough to spend a day at L’Anglore a few years ago. What a beautiful day.

Yeah, if I didn’t buy so much red fro Enfield, I would buy the Rosé. I ordered it once and really liked it. Just haven’t gotten back to it.

My friend introduced me to L’Anglore in Paris right before lockdown, and I kept thinking that it reminded me of something but I couldn’t put my finger on it at first… on the flight back I listened to your IDTT episode and it all clicked!

Few years ago, yet we wait on Hardy’s rose.

I hear a rumor it’s coming . . .

1 Like

Partly inspired by this thread, I decided to organise a rose tasting as I accumulated these for a decent price and never got a chance to open them since roses aren’t something I reach for automatically when I choose a wine for dinner. Very educational, the leitmotif for me seemed to be raspberries and a lot of nail varnish as most of them were on the natural side of the spectrum that I am probably not the biggest fan of. What was interesting was that all of them showed so differently that there was something for everyone such that there was no consensus on a favourite.

• 2018 Domaine des Ardoisières Vin des Allobroges Argile Rosé - France, Savoie, Vin des Allobroges (19/3/2021)
    This was rather divisive but I liked this a lot. Very natural and aromatic, would have passed off as an orange wine if not for the colour. Classic natural wine notes of grapefruit and blood orange, tasted almost like apple cider. A little sour and tart with high acid, but wasn’t too overbearing for me.
  • 2018 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (19/3/2021)
    55% Mourvèdre, 25% Grenache, 20% Cinsault. First time trying the benchmark rose, surprisingly most didn’t care for this at the start. Strong scent of onion peel and raspberries, lots of tropical fruits on the palate. To me it lacked character and didn’t have anything to distinguish it from a 4 euro supermarket rose. It improved with air though to put on more weight and complexity towards the end of dinner, so maybe it just needs more time.
  • 2018 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Pinot Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (19/3/2021)
    Didn’t have a Cotat on hand but had this was an able substitute. Bit of VA on opening but blew off. Strawberry both visually and on the palate, darker colour and better depth than the Tempier. Slightly sweet but thought this was a more serious light rose, if that makes sense. Have liked everything I’ve had from this producer.

Then we moved on to the more serious roses, i.e red wines masquerading as roses (actually I was wondering so what’s the point of labelling them as roses, other than the Tavel?). All of them opened three hours before dinner.

• 2009 R. López de Heredia Rioja Rosado Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (19/3/2021)
    Rather reticent on the palate but still had that Rioja / LdH character in spades. Very oxidative, nutty nose that would be familiar to anyone who have tried their whites. Notes of blood orange, raspberries and oak notes of vanilla and coconut. This had a massive structure that suggested that it was way too young still. I love LdH but secondary market pricing for this is nuts.
  • 2015 Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo (19/3/2021)
    Probably my least favourite of the night. Lots of barnyard funk and nail varnish on the nose that almost made the wine vinegary, high acid and tartness that wasn’t backed up by the fruit. Probably would have been better younger. Valentini’s rose is on another level to this.
  • 2015 Olivier Horiot Rosé des Riceys En Valingrain - France, Champagne, Rosé des Riceys (19/3/2021)
    Not as tart and acidic as previous notes on CT described. Very natural nose of brett, on the palate there was a wild feral texture/element to it. There was a hint of sourness that maybe others took as an acidic character but I thought it gave the wine good tension. First Coteaux Champenois, I liked it but more for academic interest than something I’d reach for on a consistent basis. Feels like it can age forever.
  • 2019 Domaine de l’Anglore Tavel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Tavel (19/3/2021)
    Wow this is worth the hype. A large dose of VA showing as nail varnish at first but blew off by dinner. This was the wine with the most going on - lovely floral perfume, very bright fruits, spice and an impressive structure for a rose. Culminated in a lengthy finish. Very well-made wine but I am not so sure this is worth the secondary market price.

Very interesting tasting Melvin, thanks for sharing! The L’Anglore (and LdH Rosado) prices are steep indeed, I paid 30€ for the 2016 Tavel which was fine but just skipped the 2019 at 49€.

1 Like

Lots of terrific rosés there! Especially that Horiot Rosé des Riceys is one of my favorites and it really is capable of aging like crazy - I had the 2003 vintage some years ago and it was still in a remarkably great shape!

And I’m with you that I really don’t share the larger enthusiasm for Tempier Rosé and Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo. I do love the rosés of Bandol, but I really don’t find anything special in the Tempier bottling that would make it stand out among all the other Bandol rosés and thus in my books really isn’t worth the premium. And the Emidio Pepe wines are very variable in quality, every now and then coming across as too natty. Valentini is definitely on an entirely different level of quality.

1 Like

Tempier Blanc > Rosé!

I’ve had it only once and it wasn’t particularly thrilling, because it was 2019 tasted last summer - rarely any Bandol performs particularly well that young. Especially knowing how remarkably well many Bandol whites can age!

So I’m still waiting for the invitation to come over and drink all the Blancs available. Perhaps we should get a bottle of rosé, just for scientific, comparative purposes?

2021 will be the year of the grand Bandol Blanc extravaganza! Why not throw a rosé or two in the mix?

1 Like