"a crisis unlike anything the Champagne region has ever seen"

Man you think that’s tone deaf; remember the article earlier this year about a doctor whose tastes in wine had changed after he caught COVID, and was lamenting the fact that he couldnt enjoy his DRC collection?

It isn’t tone deaf at all – any more than a restauranteur lamenting the fact that patrons can’t eat at his or her place. These people are invested in their wineries and make a product that is associated with celebration, for better or worse. It is not tone deaf in the slightest for them to worry about the future of their livelihoods.

1 Like

Like many of you, I’m doing my part. Our Champagne began to freely flow at about 3pm today. What’s this midnight business?

+1. Same here - big time too.

Sounds like it will be good for the consumer. Somehow not too worried about any of my favorites.

No … Sparkling wines are not part of the tariff additions. See the discussion at the end of this thread US 25% tariff on European wines; 100% "digital" tariff on French products called off for the moment - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

[dance-clap.gif]

Scott,

YES, see the USTR website or Reuters or Bloomberg. 30th of December new tariff applied on all, and I repeat all French wines affected the 14th of January.

Many months ago I ask about a bubble…and many went crazy. Yes, Champagne is one to watch…I just bought 8 cases of krug at a ridiculous price. California is the next big bubble. Bordeaux will continue to adjust after last EP pricing!

AFAIK The Champenois are cutting production to match demand.

For those of you who say you are buying more Champagne this (well, now, last) year, are you buying more wines overall or just shifting the “pain” by buying more Champagne and less of other things.

Are you really helping the issue by buying CdC, Dom Perignon and Vilmart. Don’t you need to buy the junk to help the situation. Isn’t it the bottom of the market where people are hurting? Are you then also upping your purchases of wines from Midi and the Central Valley in California?

1 Like

“Wine” does not include “Champagne” (ie sparkling wine) for tariff purposes. Different tariff line under harmonized schedule. All on USTR website and thread linked above.

Neal.Mollen wrote:
I have LOTS of half bottles for this very reason. My wife generally doesn’t drink even a glass during the week. I don’t either, but when I feel the urge, the halves come in super handy

We are in a similar spot. We have quite a few half bottles and splits because we just want one glass of champagne. Full bottles are usually when we are hosting, and we have not been hosting since March.

Thanks for the article. I subscribe to the digital edition of the WaPo and missed it!

Ed

I can’t even fathom this.

We too drink a lot of Champagne here. Usually one bottle a week,

Crisis? I think not. At least not for quality producers. The marques will keep their market albeit with a bit of a slowdown. The growers have their market and buyers will likely be drinking more. The mass produced stuff? Yea they are in for a bumpy road in the short term. But Champagne is Champagne. Sometimes things like this is good to shake up the status quo.

It’s a tough time for a heck of a lot of people!

The result of all we are seeing is going to be a huge increase in pricing for more basic Champagne in a couple of years. If the houses are cutting back purchases this year, supply will decrease in a couple of years when demand has recovered. If you buy “extra” basic Champagne, you will increase future price increases.

We have done our part with a steady flow from about Thanksgiving through New Years. Nothing special for the most part, but plenty of NV brut.

Is there an argument that demand wont just simply recover? In the UK prosecco has been on the rise - and I’d even argue that for a lot of people, they dont care - it’s not a question of being willing to pay a few £ more for champagne.

At the end of the day, they’re having to cut supply to match demand - the trend in demand is decreasing, so unless there’s a systematic change (e.g. pricing, champagne goes more ‘in fashion’, etc) why would there be any systematic shift in demand to drive an increased price?